Benefits Services Manager
The Benefits Services Manager is responsible for the management and administration of the benefits, workers’ compensation, benefits compliance, and wellness program for Spelman College faculty and staff. This position, in partnership with the Director of Human Resources and consultants, develops, recommends and implements approved, new and/or modified benefit plans and ensures that plans are administered in adherence to regulatory compliance, plan documents and College policies. The Benefits Services Manager coordinates and corresponds with various employee benefit vendors on all benefit related matters and maintains an in-depth knowledge and expertise in benefits services offered to Spelman Employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide expertise in managing, administering and processing the complete cycle of the benefits program, new hire benefit enrollment, annual enrollment, termination of benefits upon separation from service, and adherence to eligibility requirements. Must demonstrate proficient knowledge of federal and state regulations, (PPACA, COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA, ADA), related policies and day-to-day administration of benefits such as health insurance plans, disability plans, pre-tax spending accounts, life insurance;
- Provide quarterly benefit eligibility reports to TPA per ACA requirements;
- In partnership with plan consultants, insurance consultants, carriers and vendors, conduct annual renewal process to understand benefits and cost changes and trends;
- Effectively manage vendors and consultants to ensure superior service levels;
- Meet annually to monitor partners’ activities and management of programs.
- Ensure all managed agreements and contracts are reviewed, signed and submitted in a timely manner;
- Knowledge of WRAP documents and the ability to complete.
- Develop benefit renewal recommendations, including employee contributions based on best practices and trends.
- In partnership with insurance providers, manage workers’ compensation claims, accurately maintain claim files, prepare annual reporting document by due date, facilitate communication between employees and managers on transition issues both upon departure and return, and ensure proper release to return to work documentation is received before the employee returns to work. Assist and coordinate with workers’ compensation training and educational seminars. Facilitate and assist in resolving potential ergonomic concerns with appropriate resources and document results.
- Must have extensive knowledge of consumer-driven health plans pre-tax and health savings accounts.
Education and/or experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field with 12 to 15 years of progressive experience in benefits administration and benefits management is required or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Must have subject matter expertise in PPACA, FMLA, COBRA, HIPAA, insurance programs and designs and benefits related compliance gained through direct experience in administering these programs.
Knowledge and previous experience with retirement plans, Consumer -Driven Health Plans (CDHPs) and a proven record of accomplishments driving benefit design, implementation, and administration of health and wellness programs from a large employer are essential. Position requires excellent verbal, written, and presentation/public speaking skills. Knowledge of Human Resources policies and programs, best practices, and trends is essential. Ability to influence, negotiate and mediate effectively as well as build trust within consultants, faculty, and staff and maintain confidentiality with sensitive data. Incumbent must have excellent time management skills, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
The incumbent should possess analytical skills and be capable of developing effective recommendations based on available data. The ability to communicate effectively, build relationships and maintain confidences with all levels of faculty, staff and external customers is essential. The incumbent must be able to maintain confidentiality in aspects of all employee information, exercise good judgment and be a self-starter.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) designation is preferred.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE