I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
In The George Washington University Division of Rheumatology we are focused on delivering high quality health care, advancing scientific discovery and translating discoveries into action. The mission of Dr. Shanmugam’s Laboratory is to facilitate and develop observations made at the patient’s bedside into hypothesis-driven scientific research with a view to conducting ground-breaking translational research which advances patient health. Additional information on The Division of Rheumatology Research can be found at the following link: http://smhs.gwu.edu/shanmugam-lab/
The Shanmugam Laboratory is searching for a full time Research Assistant. The Shanmugam Laboratory was established in June 2014 and focuses on studying chronic wounds, Hidradenitis suppurativa, scleroderma, and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. These studies utilize human bio-specimens to elucidate immune pathways and biomarkers of disease activity.
This position aids the Principal Investigator in planning, executing and analyzing clinical-translational research experiments in the laboratory. The research assistant works under the direct supervision of the PI and receives mentoring and guidance to further their career.
• Plans and executes experiments consistent with the timeline and objectives of ongoing research projects.
• Completes general upkeep of the laboratory, complies with Good Laboratory Practice, Biosafety Guidelines, HIPAA regulations, keeps inspection records, generates protocols, and maintains laboratory supplies and equipment.
• Processes biospecimens including isolating blood, biofilm, tissue, and wound effluent. Isolates DNA, PMBCs, serum and plasma from whole blood.
• Conducts keratinocyte culture, ELISA assays, and multiplex assays. Fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS), qPCR, and illumina sequencing experiments.
• Participates in group meetings and presents data
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
A BA/BS in related discipline is required, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Master’s degree in biology or related area is desired but not required. Experience in cell culture and flow cytometry experiments, and experience isolating serum, plasma, DNA, and PBMC from blood.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Service and Support Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5:30 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: RP000276 Job Open Date: 03/30/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Names and Contact Information for References
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Sample Publications
- List of Publications