Career Counselor, Career Services Center
University of Delaware
Job Title Career Counselor, Career Services Center
Job ID 104220
Location Newark, DE
Deadline: Open until Filled
Pay Grade: 29E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Career Services Center (CSC) at the University of Delaware provides comprehensive career services to students and alumni from all academic disciplines. Within the context of two teams, Counseling and Programming (CPT) and Employer Relations (ERT), professional staff maintain relationships with alumni, faculty, administrators and employers to facilitate students' transition from college to career.
Under the general direction of an Assistant Director on the CPT team, the Career Counselor will:
- Provide quality career counseling and coaching to UD's population of undergraduate students, graduate students and alumni.
- Oversee one of the CSC's career communities, and will work with a colleague on the ERT team to engage alumni and employers in programming and employment initiatives, and work with a population of students pursuing career paths within the designated community.
- Manage liaison relationships with a portfolio of academic departments, administrative offices, and deans.
- Serve on the CSC committee overseeing office technology, marketing and communications.
- Co-supervise Career Development Intern program, and ensure the delivery of quality peer-to-peer services.
- Counsel and coach students and alumni regarding career decision-making, assessment and the graduate school process. Work with students and alumni in developing and enhancing professional skills related to the internship and job search processes, including resume writing, interviewing and networking.
- Manage one of eight career communities; responsible for the application of career related services and programs.
- Serve as a liaison to a designated group of academic departments and programs.
- Train and co-supervise a student staff of Career Development Interns, ensuring an exceptional professional experience for the interns and the delivery of quality peer-to-peer services. Maintain appropriate drop-in service coverage and oversee the resume approval process in the Handshake system.
- Design, develop, schedule and conduct presentations on career development and professional development competencies, presenting to university classes, student organizations, and other university departments.
- Serve as the CPT analytics point-person collecting and reporting qualitative and quantitative data to evaluate the effectiveness of services provided by the CSC.
- Assist with updating and maintaining the content of CSC's resources, website, information packets and virtual career guide.
- Serve as the CPT representative on the Handshake team, providing feedback on the counseling module and using the reports module to collect accurate data on counseling and programing initiatives.
- Lead the hiring committee that recruits and selects interns and oversees the orientation of CSC interns in the fall and spring.
- Administer and interpret self-assessment instruments with students and alumni.
- Find new and innovative ways of delivering career services through social media, virtual workshops and one-on-one counseling interactions.
- Perform other job-related duties assigned.
- Master's degree and two years' experience in a higher education or equivalent setting.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of constituents in a diverse community.
- Ability to internally and externally collaborate with faculty, staff and administrators.
- Proven record of assessing and interpreting individual client needs and making appropriate referrals to internal or external sources.
- Effective presentation and group facilitation skills.
- Strong organization and planning skills, managing and prioritizing many projects and tasks simultaneously.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html