Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Nature of Work:
A dermatology research lab is seeking a highly motivated individual to function as a full time senior professional research assistant, to help better understand the biology of melanocyte- and keratinocyte-related diseases, and to find treatments for them. The duties of this position include but not limited to: tissue culture of mammalian cells; basic molecular biology techniques including RT-PCR, cDNA preparation, transfection of mammalian cells; analysis of mRNA and protein expression; immunohistochemistry and flow cytometry; cell migration, proliferation and apoptosis assays.
PI and other laboratory staff
Technicians and Students
Examples of Work Performed:
Techniques in cell culture and molecular biology, including immunostaining, Western-blot; in vitro human tissue culture, flow cytometry; in vitro functional assays of cell viability and migration; primer design and DNA/RNA manipulation; quantitative PCR; molecular cloning; gene expression studies, including RNAseq; and RNAi technology. (Estimated effort: 80%) Manage daily laboratory operations, including but not limited to ordering, inventory, creating databases and spreadsheets to maintain records, cleaning, and preparation of laboratory reagents, data processing and analysis, and maintain laboratory records. (Estimated effort: 20%).
- Comply with all standard operating procedures and quality control systems
- Comply with any laboratory duties assigned by the PI
- Upon gaining sufficient experience, individual may train new laboratory members
- BA or BS in biological sciences or related field.
- A minimum of 1 year of laboratory experience in cellular immunology and/or molecular biology. Cell culture experience is greatly preferred.
- The candidate must demonstrate a sincere desire to learn and become intellectually invested in the research program and operation of the lab with emphasis upon attention to detail; must be technically adept, highly organized, and able to maintain meticulous records of experiments and laboratory orders; and be able to work independently with a high degree of professionalism, sound judgment and communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in team settings with others who are in peer and supervisory roles.
- Computer proficiency is required.
- Comply with all standard operating procedures and quality control systems, and comply with any laboratory duties assigned by the PI.
- Minimum 2-year commitment is preferred.
- Experience and willingness to work with cell culture and human tissue models is required, and molecular biology techniques experience is also preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Prism, Adobe Photoshop and is preferable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of and have proficient technical skills and experience in molecular biology, cell biology genetics/genomics, and/or cancer biology.
Proficiency in multitasking, including managing multiple projects and laboratory duties concurrently is required.
Attention to detail and excellent written and communication skills are required, and candidate must have excellent organizational and record-keeping skills.
Computer proficiency to perform data analysis (e.g. MS Excel, Prism), design presentations (e.g. MS PowerPoint) and conduct word processing (e.g. MS Word) is critical.
The PRA position requires 100% effort Monday through Friday. The position requires the candidate to work flexible hours based on experimental needs, including nights on a regular basis and weekends on an occasional basis. The nature of the laboratory work generally requires time commitments that extend beyond 40 hours per week, including work conducted outside of the laboratory, such as experiment planning, data analysis and reading of scientific literature. Will be expected to actively participate in laboratory and larger group meetings and journal clubs, and to give presentations in these settings. This is an at-will exempt position and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all the potential duties and responsibilities associated with it.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Questions should be directed to Stanca Birlea at email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9008
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20143 - SOM-Dermatology
Posting Date: Mar 29, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Stanca Birlea
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00050188