Excel Pre-Collegiate Counselor
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Excel Programs, the Excel Pre-Collegiate Counselor shares pre-collegiate, recruitment, enrollment, and retention responsibilities with other members of the department. The counselor’s primary responsibilities are to provide pre-collegiate support, general admissions counseling, and educational planning advice to prospective students at select high schools throughout the metro area. The position is also responsible for providing feedback and assistance in designing bilingual (English & Spanish) activities, presentations, workshops, and events related to the college search process, outreach, and recruitment efforts. The counselor performs the duties of this position in target high schools, community outreach events, community/college fairs, as well as in the office.
The objective of the Excel Pre-Collegiate Program is to help students reach their educational goals—in addition to supporting the enrollment goals of the institution by providing pre-collegiate activities to prospective students, parents, and high school counselors in targeted high schools. In order to meet these objectives, the position requires extensive communication with various offices at MSU Denver including: the Office of Admissions, Enrollment Services, student services departments, as well as administrative and teaching staff at each of the program’s target high schools. The position also works with AHEC conference planning, Colorado admissions recruiters, members of the Colorado Council on High School/College Relations, and Educational Opportunity Centers.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups. Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
Excel Pre-Collegiate Counselor
Salary for Announcement
The hiring salary range begins at $35,530. The final salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Full Time Administrators
60% – Provide on-site admission counseling and educational planning to prospective students. Activities include but are not limited to: academic planning, college application process, college essay and resume writing, financial aid and scholarship application processes, and academic goal setting. Prepare and deliver bilingual (English & Spanish) college preparation presentations, workshops, activities, and events in Excel Pre-Collegiate high schools to prospective students, parents, and other interested groups. Assists with program coordination with an emphasis on serving diverse, underrepresented students—including students of color; help train and supervise Excel student interns and ambassadors; utilize data for program evaluation and planning. Assess and evaluate effectiveness of the program and the services provided. Plan and coordinate on-campus visitation events and tours for students from Excel Pre-Collegiate high schools. During the academic school year, the majority of the counselor’s time is spent at the assigned Excel Pre-Collegiate Program high schools. This position will travel to campus and assigned high schools as appropriate. Sometimes this travel occurs daily and, therefore, will require the use of a valid Driver’s License and use of a reliable personal vehicle.
20% – Collaborate with retention programs and services at MSU Denver to facilitate a smooth transition for students to the university. Participate in various departmental, campus, and university initiatives related to retention and student success—including outreach events.
15% – Provide assistance in the Office of Admissions by serving as an on-call counselor answering questions specific to the admission process, participate in conducting daily campus tour presentations as needed. During the summer, the counselor will be on campus and will assist with the development, implementation, and coordination of summer camp and activities, and provide support to Office of Admission when needed and participate in the pre-programming activities for upcoming academic years.
5% – Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree
• One year of experience working with high school-aged youth in an academic or college-preparatory capacity. May include experience garnered while still in college.
• One year of experience working with diverse, underrepresented populations.
• Experience using Banner or related student information system
• Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license is required to travel to Excel Pre-Collegiate High Schools.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish)—will be using Spanish on daily basis (both spoken and written).
Master’s degree in higher education, counseling, social work, or human services
• Two or more years working with high school-aged youth in an academic or college-preparatory capacity.
• Preference will be given to applicants with experience in pre-collegiate program planning, college recruiting, admission, or related field.
• Demonstrated successful experience in outreach and recruitment efforts of underrepresented students including, but not limited to, students of color.
• Experience using Microsoft Office Software in a professional environment (to include Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Experience providing supervision and performance management over staff.
• Experience in conducting training sessions and creating training/instructional materials
• Ability to work in a team environment, as well as independently
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, presentation and communication skills are preferred.
• Experience with collecting and analyzing data and generating reports
• Experience conducting presentations or workshops.
Close on Closing Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
This posting will close at midnight MST on the closing date.