EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SEARCH
The American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP) seeks applications for an Executive Director with outstanding organization-building skills and significant general management background in the non-profit association sector.
The Executive Director is the key spokesperson for the organization, which promotes the study and teaching of Hispanic, Luso-Brazilian, and other related languages, literatures, and cultures at all educational levels at both the national and international levels.
Responsibilities of the Executive Director include:
- Conference planning
- Oversight of publications and programs
- Fiscal planning
- Office management and supervision of staff
- Communication with members, stakeholders, and affiliated organizations
- Travel to represent the organization in the United States and abroad
For further information on the position and the organization, visit the AATSP website at www.aatsp.org
- Master's, MBA, or JD degree minimum with one of the degrees in Spanish
- Extensive experience in world language teaching, research, and administration
- Previous management experience with association, non-profit, and/or education, including supervision of staff
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups
- Demonstrated commitment to the role of world languages and cultures in U.S. education
- Effective leadership, management and finance skills within the context of a diverse organization
- Experience with advocating for an organization and its causes within the legislative, educational, and community spheres
- Experience in the teaching of a world language at any level K-16
- Effective communication skills in Spanish and/or Portuguese, with preference given to Spanish, and knowledge and understanding of the various cultures of the Hispanic and LusoBrazilian worlds
- Understanding of the history and current trends in world language education
- Active participation in the world language teaching profession
- Membership and activity in AATSP (preferred) or another similar world language association
- Understanding of the by-laws and governance structure of the Association
- Experience with fundraising and writing and directing grants
Applicants should include a detailed letter describing their experience and qualifications as they relate to the position, a current curriculum vitae, and three professional references. The deadline for submission is April 15, 2017.
All applications will be acknowledged and held in strict confidence.
Review of applications will begin as they are received and continue until the position is filled.
Telephone interviews of semi-finalists will be held in late May/early June.
Onsite interviews of the finalists will be scheduled in Chicago IL, during or following the AATSP National Conference, July 6-9, 2017.
The targeted date for the beginning of the position is September 1, 2017.
Address inquiries and submit letters of application, the current curriculum vitae, and three professional references to:
SUBJECT LINE: Exec Dir Search + (last name of applicant)
EXAMPLE: Exec Dir Search (Anderson)