Graduate Hall Coordinator
Residential Education and Housing Services
Graduate Coordinator (GHC) Positions
Occidental College makes a firm commitment to the value of a residential experience in college and recognizes the significant role that the Residential Education and Housing Services program plays in the development of our students. Occidental College has a dedication to providing all residents with a safe and comfortable living environment, free from hazards and harassment. The four Graduate Hall Coordinators, commonly referred to as GHCs, are an essential part of the mission of the Division of Student Affairs. The Graduate Coordinators will act in partnership with the Associate and Assistant Directors in the coordination, supervision, and administration of the residence halls.
REHS Departmental Mission
The Department of Residential Education and Housing services fosters safe, inclusive and educational residential environments. It intentionally challenges and supports students to embrace global citizenship, civility, and self-accountability both on and off campus. Through engaging events and meaningful interactions, REHS promotes the holistic development of all students from the perspective of a liberal arts education.
Terms of Employment
- Enrollment – GHCs must be enrolled in a degree-granting graduate program in the greater Los Angeles area during the period of employment.
- Academic Load – GHCs are expected to maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. GHCs whose semester/term grade point average falls below a 3.0 will have one probationary semester to meet the minimum requirements. GHCs who have a cumulative or term grade point average that falls below 3.0 for two consecutive semesters will be released from their position.
- Time Commitment – The GHC must be willing to invest a significant amount of time to the position. It is important that GHCs are available to staff and students. There will be some specific time requirements such as evening meetings and special hall/campus events which require staff support. In addition to specific time requirements, the GHCs will be required to spend time “on call.” GHCs will work an average of 32 hours per week not including time spent while in the on-call duty rotation or staff training. GHCs are expected to set aside an adequate amount of time to devote to academic and personal needs.
- Remuneration – For the employment period of July 14, 2017, to May 25, 2018. GHCs will be provided free housing in a furnished staff room within the residence halls, with a private bathroom and wireless internet. Most staff rooms do not have a private kitchen; however, a community kitchen is located nearby. GHCs will share an office within the residence halls and each GHC will be provided a desktop computer and iPad for job use. GHCs will receive a $6,000/year stipend to be distributed equally over the time worked. GHCs will also be provided a meal plan while classes are in session from July 14, 2017, to May 25, 2018.
In the Department of Residential Education and Housing Services Our Graduate Coordinator team is comprised of four Graduate Hall Coordinators. There are many areas where their responsibilities overlap and a few areas where they are unique.
- Inclusivity and Leadership
- Build an inclusive community that promotes and supports the exchange of diverse ideas and beliefs.
- Create activities/programs that promote leadership and inclusivity among community members. Support department and college efforts in inclusivity and leadership events.
- Support student leadership opportunities and development in residence halls.
- Assist with opening and closing activities.
- Maintain a programming budget for a staff of RAs
- Participate in departmental programming efforts, including GHC Night O.W.L. late-night programs, hallspread programming, Room Draw, RA Workshops and study breaks.
- Participate in first responder, on-call duty, providing 24-hour crisis response.
- Hold 10 hours of office hours a week to be available to students on a regular basis
- Chair and advise a departmental committee, spanning throughout the year, consisting of weekly check in meetings, regular assignments, and collaboration with others in the department and division.
- Prepare a transition report, following the guidelines provided, in order to ensure consistency during staff turnover from year to year.
- Student Conduct
- Serve as a residence hall student conduct officer by investigating and adjudicating conduct hearings, determining responsibility, and assigning appropriate sanctions.
- Resource to Students
- Develop individual relationships with students and act as an advisor and counselor for academic, transition and/or personal concerns, when needed.
- Check in and/or meet with students in crisis who need additional support
- Liaison for the Department of Residential Education and Housing Services
- Establish positive working relationships with other residence hall and departmental staff.
- Serve as a liaison between Residential Education and Housing Services and other student affairs offices for specific projects each semester.
- Recruit, select, train, supervise, and evaluate undergraduate Resident Advisors.
- Supervise student staff in the planning, implementation and evaluation of their programming efforts and community building initiatives.
- Supervise and support student staff in policy enforcement and documentation.
- Provide guidance and support to staff through consistent and individual meetings in addition to staff meetings and trainings.
- Provide feedback to staff concerning job performance.
- Manages vendor services and repairs such as laundry, DirecTV, Micro-Fridge and new contracts.
- Manage bed-lofting services within the residence halls.
- Conduct regular duty and safety walks through the Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Kappa Alpha Theta houses.
- Support the Assistant and Associate Directors of Housing Services for annual housing assignments (Room Draw), including data input and roster management.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references.
Apply for Graduate Hall Coordinator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly