Instructor of Mathematics and Statistics-2
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Mathematics and Statistics Program at the Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for two Instructor positions to begin August 2017.
We seek two dynamic persons who are prepared to redesign and teach undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics courses, at the introductory and upper level in a small and/or large-enrollment setting, using pedagogy informed by Mathematics and Statistics education research. The successful candidates will also be expected to work with a team of faculty and TAs for the introductory courses, join other faculty members in the program engaged in similar efforts, and participate in obtaining grant support for curricular and pedagogical improvements.
These positions have the following specifications: full-time, nine-month, non-tenure track, time-limited. After initial appointment, these positions are renewable, contingent upon enrollment demands and job performance.
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University is a new state University that opened for classes in 2014-15, and strives to have a major higher education presence within Florida and beyond. The University was created by the Florida Legislature as a STEM-focused four-year public university, with a range of innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive high-tech workforce, Florida Polytechnic University takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to academics and partners with industry leaders to provide relevant learning opportunities. With an innovative approach to higher education, the University emphasizes core subjects in small class sizes, while giving students opportunities for hands-on education through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
- M.S. degree in in Mathematics, Applied mathematics, Statistics, or closely related fields
- Experience teaching college students in a diverse environment
- Experience and enthusiasm for teaching introductory and/or advanced courses
- Able to teach classes scheduled during days, evenings, and weekends
- Ph.D. degree in in Mathematics, Applied mathematics, Statistics, or closely related fields
- 2 years post-secondary experience teaching mathematics and statistics courses
- Strong potential to engage undergraduate students in scholarly and professional development activities
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website: https://floridapolytechnic.org/culture/
- Letter of Application
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
- Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.