Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University is a new state University that opened for classes in 2014-15, and strives to have a major higher education presence within Florida and beyond. The University was created by the Florida Legislature as a STEM-focused four-year public university, with a range of innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive high-tech workforce, Florida Polytechnic University takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to academics, and partners with industry leaders to provide relevant learning opportunities. With a current student body of 1300 students and growing, the University emphasizes core subjects in small class sizes, while giving students opportunities for undergraduate research, internships, and multi-disciplinary projects in our 19 concentrations in emerging areas of advanced engineering and technology.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Mechanical Engineering Program at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for two/three faculty positions in all professional ranks beginning in August 2017. The department is seeking individuals with a strong background in i) thermal sciences with a strong tie to energy conversion technologies and, ii) robotics, automation, controls and/or mechatronics; however, excellent candidates will be considered in all areas related to mechanical science and engineering.
Successful candidates are expected to contribute fully to teaching undergraduate and graduate courses; initiate, build, and sustain an externally funded research activities; and to provide service to the profession and the community. You will contribute to shaping student learning experience at Florida Polytechnic through your involvement in the University's immersive, hands-on, industry-inspired curriculum, and opportunities for applied research and industrial collaborations.
The Mechanical Engineering Program offers a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, with approximately 250 students. The College of Engineering offers a Master of Science Degree in Engineering. More information about the ME & IE Program at Florida Polytechnic University can be found here: http://floridapolytechnic.catalog.acalog.com/preview_entity.php?catoid=7&ent_oid=156&returnto=299
- Candidates must have, by the start date, an earned Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field from a college from a university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- Candidates must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and be committed to providing students with a hands-on learning experience and applied research opportunities.
- Broad laboratory experience in techniques and instrumentation used in all areas of mechanical engineering, in an industrial and/or academic environment, is desirable.
- Rank is dependent on qualifications and the record of a successful candidate, including experience in teaching, obtaining external funding, a record of scholarship, and/or industrial experience, will be considered.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website: https://floridapolytechnic.org/culture/
- Letter of Application
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
- Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.S. transcript
You will be required to upload your transcript during the job application process. When you come to the screen asking you to upload your resume/cover letter, please also upload your transcripts.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.