Intermediate Network Engineer
- Monitors network health through the use of Enterprise System Management (ESM) tools.
- Provides proactive network problem reporting to the Tier 1 Help Desk personnel.
- Gathers ESM performance data to identify any potential utilization, congestion, or capacity problems on the network.
- Maintains and documents the complete network configuration documentation.
- Assures the Fort Detrick Network is compliant in accordance with applicable DOD, Army and MEDCOM Directives.
- Maintains configuration control of the network.
- Manages and monitor any network Firewalls.
- Implements and monitors Cisco security protocols and access lists.
- Experience with SNMP and network management tools (Cisco Works, Sniffer Analysis Suite, etc.) and working knowledge of network layer protocols (TCP/IP, RIP, OSPF, BGP) and working knowledge of network topologies (Ethernet, SONET, DS IIDS3, Routing Video, Internet and Wireless).
- Working knowledge of network configuration and DA approved Firewall software (Visio 5.0, Raptor, Cisco PIX, etc.).
- Working knowledge of network hardware and software (Norte and Cisco switches, Cisco routers, Hubs, etc.).
- Provides Tier III support (the Service Desk fulfills Tier 1 and 2 support layer) to assist in trouble shooting user/customer related errors/concerns.
- Provide network engineering in support of new WAN/LAN technology to support the Fort Detrick Mission Partners.
- Provides customer service, support, training and diagnostics to systems and software including productivity applications, Microsoft Windows operating systems, Scripting via PowerShell or similar scripting languages, IP protocols, Active Directory and equipment used in customer organizations.
- Monitors all REMEDY queues for all NEC Fort Detrick REMEDY support groups to ensure that tickets are properly templated and routed to the correct support group.
- Maintains a safe workplace ensuring that he/she is aware of and observes appropriate safety and occupational health rules and regulations.
- May be required to attend safety training relative to his/her position and report any infractions of safety procedures to the facility Safety Officer.
- Performs light duties and other related duties as required and assigned.
- SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Working knowledge of customer support and troubleshooting principles and methods;
- Ability to plan and deliver a full range of customer support services to customers including installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting any hardware and software components present; delivering formal and informal training and assistance to customers; reporting, responding to and resolving customer requests via Remedy and other trouble ticketing systems;
- Ability to diagnose and resolve problems in response to customer reported incidents;
- Must be able to identify, research, evaluate, and provide feedback to management on problematic trends and patterns in customer support;
- Ability to assist in the development and management of customer service performance requirements;
- Must assist in the development of customer support policies, procedures, and standards;
- Ability to troubleshoot complex problems in coordination with other IT teams and service providers;
- Will be required to regularly upgrading technical skills;
- 5+ years of Network Engineering experience.
- Advanced skills with Cisco, Brocade and/or F5 LTM and GTM devices
- Cisco VOIP, Call Manager
- Secure DNS and IP administration
- LAN protocols (HSRP, Spanning Tree Protocol and/or VLAN trunking)
- Experience with TCP/IP, RIP, OSPF, BGP and/or EIGRP
- WAN network topologies and hardware (CSU/DSU, Private Line, Frame Relay, DSL)
- Knowledge of caching technology (RADIUS and TACACS preferred)
- Knowledge of Network Management tools (CiscoWorks, NetView and/or Sniffer)
- Construct and maintain configurations for data networks, VPN, VOIP.
- Design, test and install network software and hardware (must be familiar with Brocade, Cisco, F5 and similar network equipment (L2/L3 switches/routers/firewalls and other supporting devices and appliances.
- Support network environment for VMWare vSphere and Horizon Suite (VDI) deployments.
- Support segmented network design, testing and implementation efforts of hosted Web application solutions and Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) environments (Colocated, IaaS, PaaS) platforms.
- Perform troubleshooting of network problems utilizing network analyzers and/or sniffers and other troubleshooting tools.
- Actively participate in Change and Configuration Management (CCM) activities and prepare Request for Change (RFC) documentation for all upcoming Change requests in the test and production environments.
- Configure and implement network monitoring and management systems.
- Implement and monitor network security.
- Analyze current network software and propose modifications and new software for impact standards and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining network documentation and diagrams including Microsoft Visio or similar diagramming tool including accreditation documentation requirements.
- Comply with accessibility (Section 508), security, privacy and organizational standards.
- Active Security Clearance with minimum of a DOD Secret Clearance.
- At least 5 year of related paid work experience.
- Current CompTIA Security+ certification required. This is an IAT Level 2 position, as defined in DOD 8570.01-M and the staff member requires the appropriate certifications/accreditations.
- Demonstrated ability to work without direct supervision.
- Proven customer service skills.
- Ability to apply systematic/systems analysis processes and procedures to troubleshooting diagnostics.
- Advanced diagnostic skills and tools knowledge.
- Knowledge of Army IT regulations and security procedures.
- Experience with BMC Remedy 7.6 or similar help desk tracking tools.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products including Access, Excel, and Word.
- Experience with VMware VDI (a.k.a. Horizon View Suite) or similar virtualization technologies is strongly preferred.
N.E.T. is a Northern Virginia-based company that provides Management Consulting and Information Technology services, primarily to the Federal Government. We provide full benefits to our employees, which include: Medical Insurance, Vision Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Days, Paid Holidays, 401(k), etc.
Tue, 28 Mar 2017 12:19:31 PDT