Mechanical Systems Project Manager
The Department of Facilities Management supports the mission of the University of Denver by providing an aesthetically pleasing, clean, orderly, safe and healthy environment in which to learn, teach, live and work.
With minimal direction from the University Energy Engineer, the Mechanical Systems Project Manager will perform complex management of mechanical system renovation projects within established time and budget parameters. This position serves as the representative of the Facilities Management Department in the programming, design, construction and warranty phases of those all active projects. The Mechanical Systems Project Manager will establish budget priorities using mechanical equipment life cycle analysis. The Mechanical Systems Project Manager will also monitor and report progress of all active projects on a bi-monthly basis, and assure appropriate safety standards are adhered to by all parties associated with each project during all onsite activities.
- Develop reports to track and continually monitor projects estimated costs, budget, actual cost and schedules in coordination with the contractors.
- Provide budgetary and progress reports to Energy Engineer, Facilities Budget Officer and Director of Facilities Management.
- Convene, facilitate and/or attend meetings of the Owners Representative, other consultants and contractors during the progress of the project to ensure user satisfaction, quality control and timely completion of the project within budget.
- Coordinate proper, thorough and timely reviews of plans, drawings, submittals, shop drawings, University standard and code requirements.
- Include University Energy Engineer and HVAC Foreman on approval distribution list for all mechanical equipment submittal information.
- Include Director of Physical Plant and Electrical Foreman on approval distribution list for all electrical submittal information.
- Make recommendation to the Energy Engineer and/or the Director of Facilities Management on appropriate bidding or negotiation methods and on qualifications of contractors.
- Participate in the selection and hiring of engineers and consultants, and coordinate bid solicitations and/or negotiation process, as well as the award and issuing of contracts.
- Review and approve contractor requests for payment.
- Participate in the negotiation of and approval of change orders within the project budget.
- Determine the need for and coordinate the implementation of required services such as soil testing, surveys, utility changes or relocations, hazardous material testing and abatement, special inspections and materials testing, demolition, data, and city department reviews and sign-offs.
- Maintain and distribute project files including plans and specifications, contracts and purchase orders, shop drawings, submittals, progress payment, correspondence, operating manuals and warranty material.
- Ensure all owner training is complete and all project documents, including warranty data, O&M manuals, test and balance reports and updated mechanical plans are appropriately archived prior to close-out of al projects.
- Support the development of preventative maintenance programs to create and maintain a preventative maintenance work plan to achieve the objective of decreasing reactive maintenance.
- Perform systematic building mechanical systems inspections to assess the overall condition of existing mechanical equipment and identify maintenance, repair maintainability of existing mechanical systems.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, construction management, or related field experience.
- Five year of' experience in management of the upgrade of complex mechanical systems.
- Experience developing budgets and estimating the cost of commercial HVAC systems upgrades.
- Flexible schedule when workload requires.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Friday, April 7, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. If you have questions regarding this position please contact Scott Schrage at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.