Communication Faculty Member
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Arts & Communication Department invites applications for a full time, tenure track faculty member to begin in the Fall of 2017. A successful candidate should be a media studies generalist who will teach, develop curriculum, and advise students with concentrations in communication and media studies.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Teach the equivalent of five (5) sections each semester from the Department’s communication and media studies offerings.
2. Serve as academic advisor to approximately 18 students.
3. Hold a minimum of four (4) office hours per week.
4. Serve on Department and College Committees.
5. Actively participate in department evaluation, development, implementation and assessment of curriculum, especially in emerging media including mediated communication, social media and media literacy.
6. Collaborate with WKKL General Manager to align curriculum and radio programming.
7. Attend and participate in department, division, and college meetings.
8. Participate in the development of articulation agreements.
9. Maintain professional growth.
10. Participate in the assessment of student learning outcomes at the course, discipline, program and college level.
11. Use college-provided technology tools such as email, learning management systems, and advising software.
1. Master’s degree in media studies, communication studies, or a related field from an accredited institution.
2. Demonstrated interest in college level teaching in communication at the freshman and sophomore level.
3. Commitment to the community college vision and mission.
4. Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic teaching/learning community that requires flexibility, adaptability, and teamwork.
5. Record of excellence in teaching, curriculum and program development, outcomes assessment, and maintaining a learner-centered environment.
6. Knowledge of and a demonstrated ability in curriculum development, assessment of student learning and instructional strategies that include experiential learning, integration of technology, and service learning in face-to-face and web-based formats.
7. Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, with a collaborative approach to working with students and colleagues.
8. Comprehensive knowledge of media operations and expertise in the field.
9. Familiarity with professional academic organizations in communication, humanities, and/or social sciences.
10. Competency in using learning management systems.
11. Effective pedagogical, teaching, and presentation skills.
12. Ability to meet the challenges of providing support to students with diverse abilities, interests, and backgrounds.
13. Demonstrated commitment to current assessment practices.
14. Strong oral and written communication skills.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Experience with, an appreciation for, and a commitment to working in a global, multi-cultural academic setting.
2. Experience with the integration of technology and alternative delivery systems of instruction in the teaching-learning process.
3. Experience with current computer software programs for video and radio production.
4. Community college teaching experience.
COMPENSATION: Full-time MCCC Unit position. Salary to be determined by a formula-based classification system, dependent upon education and experience (base salary with Master’s degree alone is $45,996). Position includes participation in a comprehensive employee benefits program.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 15, 2017