Director of International Student and Scholar Services
SUNY Geneseo is seeking applicants for the Director of International Student and Scholar Services. The Director is responsible for all aspects of the College’s program for F-1 visa students, as well as legal matters and orientation for J-1 visa students and scholars. The Director reports to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and is involved in the development of a vision and strategic plan for the division. He/She is expected to be highly collaborative and data-driven. Major functions include:
• Develop, implement, and assess a yearly recruitment plan using a data-driven approach to recruit students. Manage application flow and yield to meet an established recruitment goal. Manage and further develop partnerships and relationships with students, parents, agencies, international school counselors, and overseas partners.
• Develop, implement and assess a yearly marketing strategy in conjunction with the Office of Communications and Marketing that involves all forms of promotion, social media, the college’s website, and direct recruitment materials tailored for the specific needs of international students
• Determine admissibility of prospective students, evaluate academic credentials from educational systems around the world and manage merit scholarship awards.
• Coordinate and oversee International Student Orientation activities and programming in conjunction with other campus offices
• Counsel and advise international students
• Serve as Designated School Official and Alternate Responsible Officer in capacities dealing with immigration advising, processing, and reporting in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
• Assure compliance with any Federal, State, and College policies, including USCIS. Recommend and interpret policies regarding international students and scholars. Respond to audit requests and reports on behalf of ISSS.
• In collaboration with the Office of Institutional Research, maintain, report, and analyze data on a regular basis and as needed
• Serve as liaison to the College community for the successful integration of international students and scholars at the institution.
• Cross-train and educate the campus community on issues relevant to international students and scholars.
• Train, develop, supervise, and evaluate all staff members in the office
• In collaboration with the Vice President for Enrollment Management, prepare a yearly budget, track expenditures, and seek strategies for reducing expenditures without sacrificing quality programming and student services.
• Serve as a member of the Enrollment Marketing Group and collaborate with the Chief Communication and Marketing Officer on all marketing and communications.
• Serve on campus-wide committees as needed and serve as a representative of ISSS at campus-wide events whenever possible
• Master’s degree or equivalent experience
• Minimum five (5) years of experience in international education, including international recruitment, international admissions, and orientation
• Experience with federal regulations and legal advising
• Experience counseling and advising international students
• Experience working in an on-call capacity dealing with special, complex situations
• Experience effectively supervising and motivating staff within a structure of complex regulatory guidelines
• US citizenship
• Seven (7) or more years of experience in international education, including international recruitment, international admissions, and orientation
• Experience working in public higher education
• Experience managing budgets or scholarships
Applicants should be prepared to upload a cover letter and resume. In addition, applicants should be prepared to supply contact information (email address) for 3 professional references. References will be contacted at the time of initial interviews. Review of completed applications will begin upon receipt. to be guaranteed consideration applications must be completed by April 18, 2017.
SUNY Geneseo is highly selective and is consistently rated among the top public universities in the north by U.S. News & World Report. Located in the national historic landmark village of Geneseo, the residential campus overlooks the picturesque Genesee Valley, just 30 miles south of the major metropolitan area of Rochester and 70 miles east of Buffalo. SUNY Geneseo is a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges, a national alliance of leading liberal arts colleges in the public sector. http://www.geneseo.edu/
SUNY Geneseo is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.geneseo.edu/affirmativeaction.
All applicants are subject to drug and criminal background checks. See our full Background Investigation Statement at http://www.geneseo.edu/hr/employment.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security Report(ASR) for the College at www.geneseo.edu/police. The ASR contains information on campus security policies and certain campus crime statistics. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the ASR by contacting the SUNY Geneseo University Police Department at 585-245-5651.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.