Database Services Manager
Requisition # 2017-7278
Department Woodrow Wilson School
Category Information Technology
Date Posted 3/19/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs invites applications for a Database Services Manager. The Database Services Manager develops applications, integrates databases and reporting technologies and provides system solutions and support for evolving business requirements. This is a challenging, multi-faceted position that requires excellent programming, organizational, and communication skills. This position will serve as the School's chief resource for data, database, and programming related matters.
- Using standard tools and best practices, develops database driven web-based applications.
- Maintains applications and databases that augment existing central University systems and facilitate the School's operations.
- Ensures data accuracy and availability.
- Analyzes business processes and recommends appropriate database solutions.
- Performs data migrations, conversions, and manipulations.
- Develops queries, forms and reports for data input and output.
- Develops processes to analyze data from central systems (e.g. student records, financial information).
- Is responsible for conversion and transfer of data and applications to new formats and/or systems as needed.
- Responds to inquiries and provides technical assistance to staff, faculty, and students on data and database application development and maintenance.
- Manages data projects related to the continued development of the School's administrative and operational needs.
- Establishes, communicates, and oversees policies related to data usage, security and privacy.
- Defines and documents system requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, and interfaces with other systems.
- Writes and maintains functional and technical specifications.
- Understands University systems and develops methods to leverage data from central services (ServiceNow, Oracle databases, etc.).
- Provides support and guidance for central administrative applications (e.g. admissions systems, student records, financial systems).
- Educates/trains faculty, staff, and students on proper computing techniques and use of applications and data.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Experience in web and database development and knowledge of Internet best practices, security, and privacy issues.
- Experience supporting Microsoft Office, including MS Access (database/table creation and modification as well as forms and reports design). VBA programming experience is a plus.
- Must be able to utilize and understand UNIX, PHP, MySQL, programming as it pertains to LAMP backend.
- Strong knowledge of web authentication methods.
- Creative thinking when solving problems in a complex academic department.
- Characteristics of the successful candidate include an exemplary customer service attitude, strong initiative, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Software: Drupal, Adobe products (Acrobat Pro, PhotoShop, Flash, Illustrator), Web development software (DreamWeaver, SharePoint Designer), FTP and SSH client software. Database administration tools (phpMyAdmin). Various web browsers, web site analytics tools, Unix commands
- Web/Programming skills: HTML, XML, CSS, XSL, Java Script, JSON, REST, PHP, SQL, ODBC, RSS, HTML5 and W3c standards, Accessibility, Google Apps, Git, CAS, SAML, ADFS
- cPanel experience preferred
- Experience in Higher Education
- SharePoint experience
- ServiceNow a plus
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.