Assistant Director of Academic Programs and Academic Advisor - Technology Entrepreneur Center (A170
Assistant Director of Academic Programs and Academic Advisor
Technology Entrepreneur Center
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks an Assistant Director of Academic Programs and Academic Advisor for the Technology Entrepreneur Center (http://tec.illinois.edu). The Technology Entrepreneur Center (TEC) is the College of Engineering's Center that inspires students to become the next generation of world-changing visionaries, leaders, and entrepreneurs. This is accomplished through its courses, venture and product competitions, workshops and other curricular and extra-curricular events that expose students to the concepts of technology innovation and market adoption. This includes the new BS degree in Innovation Leadership and Engineering Entrepreneurship (ILEE).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate and coordinate with the TEC leadership and TEC instructors on the appropriate TEC Academic offerings, each semester, which includes ensuring the appropriate courses are offered during the year for the ILEE degree.
- Advise both prospective students and parents to fully describe the range and depth of educational opportunities available through the TEC and the ILEE program.
- Execute the Director's vision for the Academic mission of the TEC and the ILEE program/degree by working closely with the Faculty Director of the TEC and ILEE to ensure that annual goals and milestones around student enrollment, course offerings, and student advising for the TEC are set and executed on.
- Serve as liaison/ point of contact between TEC and TEC instructors.
- Coordinate on TEC Academics with counterparts in other units within the College of Engineering as well as across campus, to ensure that the TEC Academic offerings are reaching the students in the other departments, are meeting the needs of the students and departments, and to help with recruiting students into the ILEE degree.
- Administer all of the logistics for TEC courses each semester, which includes registering the courses, uploading course information, setting up course compass sites, working with HR on the process for hiring the instructors, and ensuring that the instructors are paid appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Monitor the campus DMI system by reviewing DMI reports to ensure that the records are accurately recorded.
- Lead the recruitment effort of students by visiting classes, working with department advisors, and other efforts as appropriate for the TEC academic offerings including the ILEE degree, TEC certificates, and TEC courses, with the goal of growing overall student participation in TEC Academic offerings.
- Coordinate and manage the TEC certificate offerings as well as the awarding and distribution of certificates.
- Work closely with the undergraduate academic advisors across the College of Engineering to advertise the ILEE degree and recruit students ensuring that the ILEE degree meets student's innovative and entrepreneurial needs.
- Collaborate closely with TEC teammates to ensure crossover of students between students taking TEC courses and TEC programs.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the TEC team to ensure that the TEC Academics section of the website is up to date.
- Recruit and hire Teaching Assistants for TEC/ILEE courses.
- Assume additional appropriately related academic duties to further the mission of the center.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, Training, Knowledge):
- Bachelor's degree in education, communication, human resource management or a related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience at a University working with students.
- Experience with the administrative duties of courses including preparing materials, uploading materials, working with faculty to set up webpages, etc. or similar relevant experience.
- Experience with advising students.
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously; take initiative and able to think critically and creatively to solve problems.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain effective, collaborative, cooperative working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
- Capacity to work with and relate to a diverse student population of students, staff, and faculty who participate in TEC courses and programs.
- Excited to take on new initiatives and challenges.
- Positive and capable attitude when assigned a new task.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, Training, Knowledge):
- Experience setting up and implementing academic service operations.
- Two years of experience advising students
Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date, April 25, 2017. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after that date. This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your (a) cover letter, (b) resume, and (c) the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references by the close date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be given full consideration. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Amy Gilbert at email@example.com or 217-244-1802.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Technology Entrepreneur Ctr
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 03/28/2017
Close Date: 04/25/2017