Department Head - Department of Mathematics
Department Head - Department of Mathematics
Position Number: 53000054
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Dahlonega
General Summary: The University of North Georgia (www.ung.edu) is seeking applications for a full-time, tenure-track Department Head. Rank is negotiable. The Department of Mathematics offers AS and BS degrees in Mathematics as well as a BS in Mathematics with secondary education certification (MAED). Successful applicants will preferably have administrative experience at a multi-campus institution offering similar degree programs. Our faculty includes 17 full-time faculty members on the Dahlonega campus, 25 full-time faculty members on the Gainesville campus, 9 full-time faculty members on the Oconee campus, and 1 full-time faculty member on the Blue Ridge campus.
UNG is the 7 th largest member of the University System of Georgia with 5 campuses located in our service region north of Atlanta. The Department Head position will likely be based in Dahlonega, Georgia, a town of about 5000 residents situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains only 12 miles from the Appalachian Trail and just 65 miles north of Atlanta. The town borders the southern edge of the large Chattahoochee National Forest, a scenic area that abounds with activities typical of the mountains.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 18,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- The successful candidate, with assistance from an Associate Department Head on the Gainesville campus and Assistant Dean on the Oconee campus, will be responsible for budget oversight, course management, faculty and staff support and development, annual evaluations of faculty and staff, space management, and program/curriculum development of a multi-faceted department with an excellent academic reputation.
- For the Secondary Certification program, the Department Head will be responsible for compliance with the standards established by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) along with state guidelines provided by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC).
- There is an expectation to teach introductory and/or upper division mathematics courses.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- A PhD in Mathematics or Mathematics Education and teaching experience is required
- Administrative experience is preferred
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts
Special Instructions to Applicants: If you received any graduate degrees from an institution outside the United States, you must provide a foreign course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). Find a full list of NACES members at http://www.naces.org/members.htm.
Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.