Associate Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement
Associate Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement-1700822
At Stony Brook Medicine, the Associate Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) is responsible for collaborating with clinicians to provide clear, concise patient health record documentation to enable accurate reporting of coded data which is utilized for quality management purposes; support of metrics related to hospital quality report cards; appropriate documentation of clinical indicators which affect mortality rates (expected to observed), as well as assessment of Hospital Acquired Conditions (HACs) and Patient Safety Indicators (PSIs). The Program also provides traditional CDI functions related to clinical documentation support of appropriately coded data. The Associate Director, CDI works closely with the SBUH Quality Management Department to ensure that data submitted to CMS and other 3rd parties is accurate and reflects clinical data in the health record. As a critical division within the Revenue Integrity Department, the CDI program provides support for various R.I. initiatives related to coding quality, documentation quality and clinical outcomes metrics.
Duties of the Associate Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) may include the following but are not limited to:
- Plan, organize, direct all activities related to Clinical Documentation Improvement program. Recruit, hire and train professional staff
- Directly supervise CDI staff, ensure that staff are functioning at a high level of productivity and quality, supporting the SBUH quality and CDI program goals and objectives
- Track and analyze CDI outcomes data and collaborate with Quality Management in planning and implementing actionable steps relative to the outcomes results, including identification and follow-up with coding opportunities as well as clinical documentation opportunities
- Participate in the Strategy for Quality Management Initiative with the goal of improving metrics in various defined clinical divisions within SBUH, Function as Coding and Clinical Documentation lead in the Clinical Outcomes Group (COG). Attend QM and COG meetings as appropriate, compile and provide accurate date related to current quality metrics. Utilize tools provided to develop reports.
- Develop and provide educational programs related to clinical documentation to physicians and other healthcare professionals responsible for patient health record documentation
- In collaboration with the Associate Director, Revenue Integrity Staff Development, identify, develop and provide ongoing education to coding staff and CDI staff related to the most current CDI and ICD-10-CM guidelines as related to CDI and coding initiatives
- Develop and provide ongoing clinical documentation education sessions for: Resident physicians, attending physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, including attendance at “rounds”, separate departmental meetings, etc.
- Appropriately utilize the services of the CDI Physician Liaison
- Collaborate with the Associate Director, Revenue Integrity to identify opportunities and deploy CDI resources to include Ambulatory Services
- Develop and maintain CDI program policies and procedures, consistent with current CMS and American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) guidelines
- Other duties as requested
Required: Registered Nurse with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, or Nurse Practitioner, or Physician Assistant. Five (5) years’ experience in CDI or Quality Management in an acute care teaching hospital. Demonstrated clinical skills necessary to perform the duties related to this position. Working knowledge of database analysis, proficiency in use of Microsoft Office suite of tools.
Preferred: Master’s degree in a health-related field. Three (3) years’ experience as a Registered Nurse in a nursing-related leadership role in an acute care teaching hospital. Two (2) years’ experience in a CDI or Quality Management leadership position in an acute care teaching hospital. Demonstrable cognizance of documentation impact related to complications, HACs, PSIs, correct coding initiatives. Demonstrated understanding of the role of clinical quality metrics and their affect on hospital outcomes and reimbursement. Working knowledge of Vizient databases. Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) conferred by Association of Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists (ACDIS) preferred. Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) conferred by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) preferred. Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) conferred by the National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) preferred
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Supervising Financial Analyst
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Revenue Integrity-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:00 am-4:30 pmRevenue Integrity-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 28, 2017
Posting End Date: Apr 27, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL5