Education and Broadening Participation Manager
Education and Broadening Participation Manager
STROBE NSF Science and Technology Center
University of Colorado Boulder
We seek to fill a full time Education and Broadening Participation Manager position within the new National Science Foundation STROBE Science and Technology Center for Real-Time Functional Imaging. The successful candidate will serve as the day-to-day project manager for STROBE activities directed to education and broadening participation.
STROBE is a partnership of University of Colorado Boulder, UC Berkley, UC Los Angeles, UC Irvine, Fort Lewis College, and Florida International University. The mission of Strobe is to create powerful and broadly-applicable real time nano-to-atomic scale imaging modalities to advance imaging science and increase access, that can be used to address grand challenges in science and technology, while building a diverse STEM workforce. In addition to research, STROBE emphasizes knowledge transfer, education and broadening participation in the STEM workforce. For more information about STROBE, visit STROBE.colorado.edu
The goals of STROBE's Education and Broadening Participation efforts are to develop, implement, assess and disseminate new education programs, innovative instructional materials, and models for other programs that inspire and prepare a diverse group of students to be innovative and globally competitive in imaging science and technology. STROBE will create unique learning approaches and experiences in imaging science through the four core and integrated programmatic approaches described below, that focus on transforming graduate programs, developing new pathways for those underrepresented in our fields, efforts in communication and engaging the public, and developing models for transdisciplinary STEM education.
The major strategic areas of focus of the EBP activities and programming are as follows:
1) Graduate Education: Create transformative graduate programs in imaging science that are adapted to current and future students and opportunities to prepare them for a full range of career options including academe, industry, national laboratories and entrepreneurship
2) Educational Pathways: Establish closely coordinated partnerships and programs that increase the overall number and success of a diverse group of students, especially women, first generation university students, and underrepresented minorities in Imaging Sciences
3) Communication & the Public: Enhance the communication and collaboration skills of all Center members through training and experience
4) Modeling Learning & Transformation: Develop and implement a model for transdisciplinary STEM education that promotes and sustains a culture of diversity, inclusion, success and adaptability through research on learning and systemic change in imaging sciences
We seek a team member to serve as day-to-day operational manager and coordinator of a diverse portfolio of educational and broadening activities. The EBP Manager will be supervised by the Director of Education, in partnership with the Center Leadership team. The scope of work will include the following:
- Implement, enhance, and report on the activities and actions of the STROBE Strategic Plan in order to attain the strategic EBP outcomes listed above
- Integrate and implement Center-wide education and outreach efforts, including existing site-specific (local) activities and new cross-institutional collaborations and projects, taking advantage of the unique opportunities available at different partner institutions
- Proactively engage with all Center members to integrate education with the research and knowledge transfer thrusts of STROBE
- Cultivate, grow, and maintain external partnerships to achieve the Center's strategic objectives
- Manage routine operations of the educational program, including: encouraging communication and coordination among team members, including regular team meetings; overseeing data collection and reporting on EBP outcomes
- Communicate and disseminate EBP efforts through writing, web, public talks, and other media
- Expand STROBE EBP efforts through proposals or by other means.
The successful candidate will be an employee of CU Boulder. The initial appointment will be for 24 months, renewable subject to University policies and the availability of funding.
The successful candidate will have:
- A PhD or equivalent experience in a STEM area (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), with substantial experience in education and outreach; or a PhD or equivalent experience in education, with MS-level background in a STEM field
- Management experience in a Center-like organization that integrates activities across multiple partners
- Experience working in a team-oriented, shared-values environment
- Experience in communicating effectively in oral and written formats, including presentations, websites, and social media
- Experience with writing and reporting on successful proposals
- Experience with data collection and reporting of program outcomes
Preferred qualifications include evidence of:
- Experience with Education and Broadening Participation efforts in an NSF Science or Engineering Center
- Experience with Knowledge Transfer efforts in an NSF Science or Engineering Center, including professional development of graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and teachers
- Experience with successful RET and REU programs that aim to diversify the STEM workforce
- Experience with developing and coordinating STEM outreach programs
- Previous work with STEM graduate education reform efforts
- Capacity for independence and creativity
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin April 14, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Questions may be directed to Lauren Mason at: email@example.com This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals. The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: 1) Cover Letter - A statement illustrating how the applicant meets the required and preferred qualifications. Please discuss any experiences that would be relevant to the project. Maximum length 5 pages. In addition, a list of successful grants, authored reports, and examples of communication via web sites or other mediamay be provided; maximum length 1 page. 2) A current and complete Curriculum Vitae 3) List of Reference - names and contact information for 3 references who have agreed to provide letters upon request
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10106 - JILA
Posting Date: Mar 28, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Agnieszka Lynch
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00732303