Assistant Director, Outdoor Recreation Programs
Functional Title Assistant Director, Outdoor Recreation Programs
Position Type Administration - Staff
Posting has been extended, applications will be considered through March 1, 2017
The Department of Recreation and Wellness is located in the Division of Student Affairs, which includes comprehensive recreation and wellness programming including; aquatics, informal recreation, outdoor adventures, experiential education, competitive sports, nutrition, health promotion/advocacy and wellness education. The Mission of the Department of Recreation and Wellness is to provide a variety of programs, services and activities, which strive to engage students and others in the UNC Greensboro community in the attainment of healthy lifestyle behaviors that will carry forward throughout their lifespan. With Health and Wellness as a major theme for the University's strategic plan, the Department is expected to provide opportunities that enhance student success.
The Assistant Director of Outdoor Recreation Programs is responsible for the effective leadership and daily operations of the Outdoor Adventures program. The Outdoor Adventures program consists of an indoor climbing wall, equipment rental program, adventures trips program, and outdoor recreation programming at Piney Lake. Piney Lake is a 48-acre park-like property operated by UNCG Recreation & Wellness.
General Administrative Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with and supervise a full-time coordinator.
- Coordinate hiring, training, scheduling, evaluation, and supervision of a graduate assistant, multiple program assistants, and 20+ undergraduate student employees.
- Develop, implement, and assess policies and procedures for all program areas.
- Administer assessment, evaluation, and mitigation of risk for outdoor recreation programs and facilities.
- Develop and maintain multiple program budgets.
- Design and implement assessment of student learning in all program areas.
- Coordinate the marketing and promotion of outdoor programs and services.
Facility & Equipment Management Responsibilities:
- Oversee the day to day operations of the indoor climbing facility, rental and trip center, adventure trips programs, and outdoor recreation programming at Piney Lake
- Manage outdoor program facility reservations.
- Manage internal and external inspections of the indoor climbing facility.
- Manage vehicle and trailer fleet reservations, maintenance, cleaning, and usage.
- Manage a wide range of outdoor equipment and maintain equipment inventory and equipment procurement procedures.
- Responsible for the year-round design, implementation, and leadership of adventure trips and programs that occur on evenings, weekends, and during university breaks.
- Develop special event programming and open enrollment clinics/workshops for the indoor rock climbing facility.
- Develop outdoor recreation programming opportunities at Piney Lake.
- Manage and support for-credit course offerings with academic partners.
- Manage and support the Spartan Outdoor Orientation Program.
- Manage existing partnerships across campus and develop new collaborative programming in and outside the Department of Recreation & Wellness.
- Serve on departmental and university committees.
- Work occasional evenings, weekends, and university breaks based on program offerings and schedule.
- Instruct department-offered American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid courses.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
1) Master's degree.
2) Minimum of 3 years of full-time experience in the promotion, design, development, and administration of outdoor recreation programs. Two years as a Graduate Assistant in outdoor recreation counts as one year.
3) Valid driver's license.
4) Current Wilderness First Responder Certification (with CPR & AED).
1) Master's degree in Outdoor Education, Outdoor Recreation, Recreation Management, or related field.
2) Collegiate outdoor recreation programming experience.
3) Demonstrated experience successfully leading several of the following outdoor recreation activities: rock climbing, caving, backpacking/hiking, sea kayaking, flat-water kayaking, whitewater kayaking, whitewater rafting, stand-up-paddleboarding, biking, and skiing/snowboarding.
4) Demonstrated experience managing an indoor climbing facility.
5) Current instructor certifications from one or more of the following:
• Leave No Trace (LNT) Master Educator and/or Trainer.
• American Canoe Association (ACA) Coastal Kayaking, Stand Up Paddleboarding, and/or Whitewater Kayaking Instructor.
• Professional Climbing Instructors' Association (PCIA) Top Rope Climbing Instructor or PCIA Single Pitch Instructor and/or American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) Single Pitch Instructor
• PCIA or AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor.
6) Current involvement in one or more of the following professional organizations: Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education (AORE), National Intramural & Recreation Sports Association (NIRSA), Association of Experiential Education (AEE), National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS).
7) American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor certification or must obtain within the first 12 months of employment with the expectation to teach department classes.
8) Demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Office and knowledgeable with recreation management software.
Tenure Status N/A
Special Instructions to Applicants
1) Go to jobsearch.uncg.edu
2) Search for posting #12543
3) Complete online application and upload cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is committed to equality of employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on race, color, creed, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or sexual orientation. Moreover, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro is committed to recruiting and advancing women and minorities at all faculty/staff levels. EOE AA/M/F/D/V
Recruitment Range $42,000- $46,000
Org #-Department Department of Recreation and Wellness - 44801
Job Open Date 10/05/2016
For Best Consideration Date 03/01/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu