Head Coach-Men's Lacrosse
University of Delaware
Job Title Head Coach-Men's Lacrosse
Job ID 104491
Location Newark, DE
Pay Grade: 35E
Deadline: Open until filled
Context of Job:
The University of Delaware is seeking a Head Coach for the Men's Lacrosse Program to lead a National Championship caliber program. The Head Coach for Men's Lacrosse at the University of Delaware is a valued member of the Head Coaches' team within the Department, upholding and embracing the departmental mission of "Inspiring Greatness Together."
The Head Coach is responsible for all aspects of operating a fully funded NCAA Division I varsity program, and reports to the Sport Administrator and/or the Director of Athletics and Recreation Services. He/She has responsibility and accountability for developing, enhancing, organizing, and promoting a successful lacrosse program through the establishment of a clear vision for the program. The Head Coach positively leads two assistant coaches and all aspects of the operation of the sport, including development of his/her staff, program strategy, scheduling for championship and non-championship seasons, recruitment, and holistic player and personnel development.
All head and assistant coaches must support the athletics department's vision of providing an excellent student-athlete experience surrounding all aspects of student-athlete support services. He/She will work collaboratively and unified with all support staff disciplines encompassing Health, Wellness, and Sports Performance and Student Development; including, but not limited to, Team Physicians, Athletic Training, Strength and Conditioning, Equipment Operations, Sports Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Student Services and Student-Athlete Development Staff.
The Head Coach is responsible for fostering a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness throughout the program, including but not limited to, staffing, recruiting, and team development. The head coach serves in an important public relations role for the University and will be in a position of visibility with alumni groups, donors, service organizations and other media sources with local, regional and national interactions as well as involvement with regional and national organizations. There is also an expectation of collaboration and interaction within and across campus teams in Athletics and Recreation Services, the Division of Student Life, Board of Trustees, University offices (Registrar, Student Financial Services and Admissions), institutional representatives from visiting institutions, outside community representatives, parents, alumni, fans and the general public.
- Provide positive leadership for overall program operations to position UD Men's Lacrosse (ML) for success within the CAA and nationally, representing the University of Delaware well at all times.
- Participate in program review, strategy, and vision planning for ML program with AD and Sport Administrator.
- Participate in and contribute to monthly coaches' meetings, all-team meetings, compliance meetings, and other programming within department to further enhance the departmental vision for growth and excellence.
- Ensure compliance with all University, conference and NCAA regulations - responsible for understanding and adherence to same.
- Contribute to holistic student-athlete development, including participating in, and promoting, leadership and student services opportunities for team.
- In partnership with Student Services for Athletics, monitor academic performance of student-athletes and assist them in fulfilling academic commitments such as study hall, tutoring, and other necessary support.
- Lead and manage two assistant coaches, committing to positive collaboration, professional growth and development opportunities within and outside the department/university and a positive working environment.
- Responsible for strategic championship and non-championship season scheduling.
- Responsible for organizing team travel, including hotels, transportation, meals, etc.
- Responsible for practice planning and execution, game plans, pre-season arrangements, video/film, and analytics.
- In partnership with Athletics Business Office, responsibly administer sport budget, financial aid budget and supplemental funds.
- Strategize, plan and conduct a year-round recruiting calendar based on strategy and vision for program success); Assign talent assessment responsibilities to assistant coaches; Manage program's allotted financial aid; Plan for Official/Unofficial visits that showcase the UD student-athlete experience, UD campus environment, and current team members.
- In partnership with the marketing and engagement team, communicate and engage with the men's lacrosse student-athlete alumni population.
- In partnership with the development team, assist in fundraising efforts that are both department wide and lacrosse specific.
- Expectation to conduct clinics during academic calendar, and to sponsor camps during summer months (sports camps are not currently owned/operated by University of Delaware).
- Contribute to overall engagement and community service strategy around University initiatives and partnerships.
- Proactively build and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with colleagues across campus and in the community to enhance the Blue Hens brand and the University of Delaware mission.
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's degree preferred.
- Seven to ten years of successful collegiate coaching and recruiting experience required, preferably at NCAA Division I level.
- Collegiate playing experience preferred.
- Successful recruitment of student-athletes with academic profile to meet University admissions standards.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics.
- Ability to provide leadership and direction to student-athletes, and support student success on all levels, including personal, mental, physical, academic, career, community, and leadership.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to foster a positive, cooperative work environment with team and coaching/support staff.
- Ability to supervise and develop assistant coaches and support staff employees, to include supporting retention and professional development opportunities.
- Advanced knowledge of skills and strategies of sport.
- Knowledge or interest in innovative aspects of sport, such as analytics, performance tracking, new programming efforts through video analysis, etc. to develop players.
REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
- Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter, and list of thr.ee references along with their official application for this position.
- All inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html