Manager, Trademark & Licensing (Athletics)
University of Delaware
Job Title Manager, Trademark & Licensing (Athletics)
Job ID 103957
Location Newark, DE
Deadline: Open until filled
Pay Grade: 31E
The purpose of the Licensing Department is to create strategic goals and initiatives that protect and promote the public image of the University of Delaware by managing the commercial use of school name, image, and trademarks to maximize royalty revenues through appropriate and proactive marketing and licensing of these valuable assets.
The Manager of Trademark Licensing will oversee the coordination of all constituents (CLC, apparel partner, University and Athletic Department teams) needed to manage the program and drive the initiatives that will lead to successful team outcomes.
The Licensing Team, inclusive of Office of Communication and Marketing (OCM) and Athletics representation, will uphold the University and Athletic Department brand truths and use them to ultimately make responsible decisions that support the mission of the department. The Licensing team prioritizes collaboration and communication in order to achieve the highest levels of both efficiency and effectiveness.
Strategy and Leadership (40%)
- Creates and implements strategic goals to increase royalty revenue through the sale of licensed product.
- Consults with the Collegiate Licensing Company staff on issues pertaining to retail marketing programs and promotional opportunities to promote continuous improvement in overall strategy.
- Creates and implement retail marketing strategy, collaborating with CLC, apparel and bookstore partners, which will generate merchandise sales and brand awareness across entire target audience.
- Review all new license applications to create a diverse base of licensees that can service our various audiences with quality products.
- Serves as an active and contributing member of the External Relations Leadership Team to promote continuous improvement.
Partner Relationships (15%)
- In partnership with OCM, manages relationships with Delaware licensees, including official sideline provider, as well as retailers selling Delaware licensed products to ensure the consistency and proper use of the Delaware brand.
- Leads the relationship with campus bookstore partners on all retail related issues to ensure proper coordination with sideline partner and other licensees, and proper merchandising to enhance the overall University brand.
- In partnership with OCM, oversees partnerships with external licensing agencies.
- Program Management (15%)
- Collaborates across the department, especially with UD equipment managers, External Relations and official sideline apparel providers, to ensure proper logo placement and design on all uniforms and sideline merchandise.
- Collaborates with Athletics External Relations Leadership Team on any licensing issues that cross into other external areas.
- Coordinates cross-licensing programs with the NCAA and CAA, including special promotions, football play-off games, and postseason championships; Includes product approvals, royalty schedules, and enforcement efforts.
Data Analysis/Budget (20%)
- Identifies and evaluates various metrics to measure success of the program, collaborating with the appropriate units to build, track, and share the data and analysis.
- Manages the budget for all licensing and trademark related issues.
- Collaborates with CLC staff on all accounting and legal licensing issues.
- In partnership with OCM, works in collaboration with UD General Counsel, outside counsel, and CLC legal department on issues pertaining to trademark registrations, trademark infringement, contractual agreements, and infringement cases requiring court action;
- Oversees registration and renewal of University trademarks on state, federal, and international levels.
- Oversees enforcement efforts to protect against trademark infringement (i.e. spot checks at local retailers and internet sites, football game day enforcement outings by CLC staff and UD public safety/local law enforcement, and review potential oppositions to trademark registrations via Trademark Watch Service)
Other Duties (5%)
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Travel to CLC offices for meetings (at least once/year); Attend CLC Seminar (annual); Attend various trade shows (at least once/year); Attend licensee summits (once/year)
- Bachelor's Degree;
- Minimum of 5-7 years collegiate licensing experience, or relevant brand management experience
- Expert knowledge of Retail Marketing and Strategic Planning
- Demonstrates ability to implement and Data Analytics
- Budget Management
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects
- Displays excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with other entities, including both and external of the department and University, that have interest in management and/or use of the University's brand and trademarks.
- Exceptional ability to work in a networked way, emphasizing collaboration in a complex environment.
- Master's degree in business or equivalent
- Experience in accounting and/or finance
- Familiarity with legal issues related to intellectual property and trademark usage
- Familiarity with policy issues related to trademark usage and protection
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html