Managing Editor, UDaily
University of Delaware
Job Title Managing Editor, UDaily
Job ID 104503
Location Newark, DE
Managing Editor, UDaily- Office of Communications and Marketing
Pay Grade: 32E
This position is open until filled.
Context of the job:
The Managing Editor at the University of Delaware is a valued member of the University and the Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM). OCM is dedicated to developing strategies that will continue to elevate UD as a premier research institution, help attract the brightest students and most distinguished faculty and highlight that talent for potential donors.
Under the limited direction of the Senior Director, the Managing Editor will oversee the communication strategy and project delivery of the UDaily news service which includes components of the udel.edu web page. The incumbent is an integral part of the OCM editorial team and manages the engagement of both internal and external audiences of the University through providing editorial direction, guidance and support to communications managers, writers, photographers and videographers, and digital content developers from across the campus.
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Develops and executes a comprehensive communications strategy for UDaily, the online news service for the University of Delaware, and a prominent component of the University's main web page, udel.edu. UDaily serves as a critical tool for informing and developing relationships with: international, national and regional media outlets; faculty, staff, students and alumni; national, state and local agencies; elected members of the federal, state and local government; families of students and prospective students; and members of the community. UDaily also feeds University of Delaware college, department and office web pages and is a contributor to UD social media, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Collaborates closely with other units within OCM and across the University to determine the treatment process and assets that will best showcase a story.
- Serves as the managing editor for UDaily, including assigning, editing, organizing and selecting story assets, such as photos, illustrations and videos, and posting stories using Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) content management system.
- Coordinates the work of editors within the office to eliminate duplication and ensures that stories are being developed and marketed to gain maximum exposure for the University. Leads the weekly UDaily update meeting, bringing together communication managers and content developers from across the campus to facilitate synchronization of news coverage and optimization of resources.
- Writes and edits articles for UDaily, as well as providing writing and editing support as needed for other printed and digital collateral.
- Serves as primary UDaily liaison with University units including all colleges and departments such as: Development and Alumni Relations, Professional and Continuing Studies, Global Studies, Student Life, IT and others.
- Reviews, makes recommendations and approves office copy for accuracy, grammar, style and tone and serves as a resource to other editors on campus in terms of focusing stories and determining angles for coverage.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range goals and objectives; monitors and evaluates program effectiveness; and effects changes required for improvement. Recommends and participates in the development of policies and procedures that may have University-wide impact; may serve on University planning and policy-making committees. Assists in the design and implementation of office-wide procedures and serves as a resource for all members of the office.
- Participates in the design of unit structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the unit's goals and objectives; recruits, employs, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or related field and a minimum of six years of progressively responsible related professional writing and editing experience demonstrating creativity and news judgment. Master's degree is preferred. Experience in higher education setting preferred.
- Knowledge of digital publishing, website development and optimization, including an understanding of design concepts and practices, image/video editing software, SEO, email marketing, and Google analytics.
- Knowledge of social media best practices, including experience optimizing content for various platforms and devices.
- Ability to lead and to provide effective advice and counsel on strategic and/or critical public relations issues. Knowledge of current and emerging public relations issues and trends applicable to educational institutions.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and knowledge of public information and community relations concepts, principles, methodology, and techniques.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Employee development and performance management skills, including the ability to supervise and train assigned staff and organize, prioritize and schedule work assignments.
- Knowledge of copyright and trademark laws, regulations, and standards for the management and disclosure of public information.
- Experience using the Associated Press Stylebook and newsroom management experience preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Experience Manager content management system preferred.
- Must be available and "on-call" when required.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html