University of Colorado - Health Sciences Library
Nature of Work:
The Head of Education & Reference leads a team of librarians, support staff, and students who run the Library's education program, mediated searches, clinical and research support services, and reference. The Education & Reference department supports the acquisition of information seeking behaviors, development of lifelong learning skills, and provides reference service for the library. Close interaction occurs with all other Library Departments, curriculum committees of the CU Anschutz Medical Campus schools and colleges, University of Colorado Hospital and Health System, the research enterprise, key library and education users, and individual faculty members.
The Head of Education & Reference reports to the Deputy Director of the library. This position supervises faculty, university professional staff, and graduate library student workers.
Health Sciences Library faculty members serve as non-tenure track faculty. Initial appointment rank is commensurate with the knowledge, skills and experience level of an applicant
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and participates in departmental programs as described below.
- Recruits, trains, evaluates, and supervises the work of departmental staff and faculty reports and may oversee the work of students, volunteers or other staff on committee work, specific projects, or as requested.
- Directs and assists the department in program/service innovation, development, planning, budgeting, management, advertising, problem solving, and evaluation.
- Develops departmental policies, procedures, priorities and goals to meet needs of primary users.
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports as requested.
- Coordinates the planning, design, teaching and scheduling of classes and demonstrations.
- Facilitates the development and evaluation of library staff and faculty teaching skills.
- Participates in various library and campus committees. Serves on the Public Services Team and Library Leadership Team.
- Identifies, develops, markets, promotes and evaluates information resources, services and outreach activities for campus students, faculty & staff.
- Monitors, evaluates and recommends implementation of reference trends, changes and practices in health sciences libraries.
- Develops and maintains specialized knowledge in the area of evidence-based practice and informatics.
- Cultivates partnerships and collaborates with university faculty on projects including teaching, grants, manuscripts, paper or poster presentations.
- Collaborates and contributes across departmental lines to support the library's mission.
- Communicates with cultural sensitivity and contributes to a collegial and collaborative working environment.
- Manages and prioritizes time effectively, appropriately balancing the responsibilities of primary duties with collateral or secondary duties, seeking clarification or assistance from the supervisor as issues arise.
- Contributes to the overall development and innovation of the library and the profession by participating in library, campus, university, state, regional or national meetings, committees, workgroups and task forces or by representing the library on consortia.
- Designs and implements a plan for continuing education, continuing professional development, and to actively contribute to the development of health sciences librarianship through scholarly and service activities.
Submit application by April 30, 2017 deadline.
- Master's degree in library or information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Post-Masters experience in health sciences, academic, or life sciences library.
- Demonstrated experience in public services.
- At least 5 years of experience working in a health sciences, life sciences, or academic library.
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience, preferably managing professional staff.
- Open-minded vision of team roles and commitment to coaching and leadership development
- Experience managing a department or complex project.
- Experience providing advanced information services, including searching biomedical literature and full-text databases.
- Experience with a single service desk and virtual reference.
- Knowledge of and interest in integrating emerging technologies into instructional and/or reference services.
- Demonstrated experience developing instructional sessions and employing effective teaching techniques.
- Knowledge of the principles of adult education, educational needs assessment, and instructional design.
- Knowledge of Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) and EBP resources.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of non-traditional library roles, such as bioinformationist, data management, and embedded clinical librarian.
- Knowledge of trends in open access and biomedical publishing.
- Knowledge of systematic review skills and services
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and data management.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals throughout the organization.
- Evidence of professional development and growth
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills and enthusiastic public services orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse individuals and as part of a team.
- Membership in the Academy of Health Information Professionals
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $72,000 - $95,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 08898
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20570 - AVC-OARS Medical Library
Posting Date: Mar 27, 2017
Closing Date: Apr 30, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Tanya Tamim
Posting Contact Email: Tanya.Tamim@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00614343