Medical-Surgical Nursing Faculty
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking applications for a full-time Medical-Surgical Instructor.
The primary responsibilities of this position include, theory and clinical components of teaching as a Medical/Surgical Nursing Instructor.
Position Summary: Responsible for teaching students (theory) in the class room and in a small group instructional clinical setting, utilizing current and multimodal delivery and evaluation of knowledge, techniques, and skills. Responsible for the delivery of content in accordance with student and client needs and applicable standards of nursing practice, also responsible for the assessment of applied knowledge, techniques and skills, with responsibility for curriculum planning and development. Meet scheduled office hours, and participate in departmental, divisional and college-wide committees as requested. Work effectively with other faculty, administrators and staff in a rapidly changing team environment. Support and contribute to diversity and student success initiatives of the college. Remain current in subject area and teaching methodologies by incorporating relevant safety, quality, and evidenced-based practice recommendations. Some evenings or weekends may be required depending on the clinical sites.
Additional Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning and Curriculum
• Participates in department and discipline curriculum activities.
• Plans thoroughly on a daily, weekly, and semester time period to ensure implementation of the established curriculum and provides strong support for students in their pursuit of established expectations.
• Develops plans that promote the development of higher-order thinking skills in the instructional process.
• Contributes to the growth and development of the academic area and the college by participating in team-based committee work, academic area planning, and other academic area-related and college-related activities.
• Supports the academic area and college through other work normally expected of faculty members.
Instruction and Advising
• Assures the implementation of curricular change as indicated by the continuous systematic plan of evaluation.
• Provides leadership in planning for and obtaining instructional materials, equipment and other student experiences necessary to facilitate high quality instruction.
• Directs course and/or program offerings in accordance with pertinent regulations and policies of appropriate external accrediting agencies.
• Assists in the identification, training and hiring of qualified adjunct instructors for program/course offerings.
• Assists in mentoring, support and evaluation of adjunct instructors including assisting them in the use of the Learning Management System.
• Provides motivation to learn via thorough planning, facilitating an appropriate climate for learning.
• Utilizes varied instructional modes and methods, such as: care maps, student presentations, Socratic questioning techniques.
• Provides remediation as deemed appropriate and possible.
• Coaches, mentors, teaches, and evaluates students as assigned according to all course objectives.
• Conveys the goals and outcomes of the course; reflects curriculum adopted by the discipline for course and establishes and communicates challenging expectations for students.
• Assists in the effective scheduling of the courses assigned.
• Assists in the recruitment of students in coordination with the Enrollment Management Department.
• Assures that course and program performances are aligned with the College requirements including issues related to budgeting, efficiencies and scheduling.
• Reviews orientation content.
• Advises students on curriculum, academic programs, employment and career goals, and other matters as appropriate.
• Responds to requests by discipline leaders, department heads, committee chairs in a timely and appropriate manner.
• Consistently meets instructional schedule and other assignments and commitments in support of the college.
• Establishes and maintains regular office hours of no less than five per week.
• Treats all members of the college community with dignity and respect.
• Works through established channels to resolve problems.
• Participates in college-sponsored events, student recruitment events, discipline planning and improvement activities as teaching schedule permits.
• Attends SMC May Commencement.
• Formally upholds all college policies.
• Upholds and enforces the Student and Nurses Code of Conduct.
• Develops and nurtures positive professional relationships with program clinical partners and staff.
• Teaches between 30-32 credit hours or 39-41 contact hours each academic year (fall and spring semesters primarily). Release from a portion of the required teaching hours, based upon additional roles within the college (e.g., chair), must be approved by the college president.
• Provides students with a complete course syllabus that clearly states learning outcomes, assessment and evaluation methods and criteria, and classroom management policies.
• Holds classes at scheduled times and follows college procedures when needing to change or cancel class meeting times.
• Supplements courses appropriately with technology, most significantly the learning management system.
• Helps students to use college resources, ranging from the library and tutoring to academic and financial aid advising.
• Is expected to comply with the administrative requirements and comply with all deadlines for submission of required information.
• Engages in textbook selection and submit textbook orders on time.
Education and/or Experience
• Master’s Degree in Nursing
• 2 years medical surgical experience
• Teaching experience
• Unencumbered Michigan Nursing License
• BLS Certification
• Solid experience with varying multi-media technology, excellent communication skills
Professional Qualities and Abilities
• Serves as a role model of good written and oral communication skills and management skills
• Possesses a positive attitude; able to see good in self and others.
• Shows flexibility including the acceptance of and willingness to change; sees opportunity for growth.
• Knows and acknowledges personal limits.
• Displays self-discipline and a strong work ethic.
• Accepts responsibility for professional and personal growth.
• Demonstrates commitment to be a productive and supportive member of the college community.
• Successfully organizes, executes and follows up on projects; sets specific objectives and measures to achieve results.
• Accepts criticism gracefully and uses it as an opportunity for growth.
• Handles conflict effectively.
• Inspires others; sets example of professionalism both within the college and the community.
• Leads and/or follows as circumstances require.
• Some experience in simulation is preferred.
• Maintains a current knowledge in subject area(s) of instruction.
• Maintains a current knowledge of evidenced based practice relevant to the theory and clinical teaching environment.
• Incorporates new knowledge in the planning and instruction process in collaboration with the curriculum committee.
• Demonstrates a continuing engagement with the learning and scholarship of their area of expertise.
• Is fully committed to the mission and values of Southwestern Michigan College and participates actively in the governance.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants must demonstrate the ability to promote active and collaborative learning through a variety of teaching methods, as well as relate to students. Excellent organization and communication skills as well as the demonstrated use of instructional technology are required.
Posting Number 100
Job Category Faculty
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- I am a former SMC Employee
- SMC Website
- * Do you have a Master's degree in Nursing or degree equivalent?