Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09010
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Classified; Level 26; Full-time; Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: Full Range: $4,732 to $7,530 per month; (see "Additional Posting Information" section for details)
Job Close Date: For best consideration, apply by April 10, 2017
"System Administrator" is the working title for this position; the formal title in the PCC job classification system is "Technology Specialist III"
The System Administrator has end-to-end responsibility for administering the college's UNIX/Linux and other OS's Platforms Environment and participates in or leads projects to offer new functionality within these platforms as well as projects involving related servers, software and applications. This includes assessing user and application administrator needs for servers, researching and recommending potential vendor solutions, developing applications when appropriate, integrating new applications into the existing PCC environment, and supporting applications once they are installed. Candidate is expected to debug issues, perform maintenance like patching, dispatching tickets, information security audits, and security updates.The System Administrator will also work with other teams at PCC to develop communication and/or training material as part of rolling out new servers and system upgraded.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
1. Manages the day-to-day operations of the PCC host computers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair. Ensures that records of system downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
2. Supports the design, deployment, installation and maintenance of of physical servers and VM's (UNIX, Linux and Windows and other OS's Platforms). Performs installations, patches, upgrades, capacity planning and performance tuning.
3. Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
4. Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
5. Develops documentation and procedures to ensure that PCC assets are properly maintained and operated.
6. Establishes, maintains and manages users Unix accounts. Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides server support related to other software.
7. Supports, assists and provides routine administration with data protection and disaster recovery by performing common tasks in Enterprise Backup software, such as backups, restores, data aging, and backup data rotation.
8. Troubleshoots and responds to users incidents. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
9. Provides guidance to end users to ensure compliance with Platform Services policies and procedures. The ability to communicate with all levels of the organization is critical.
10. Works closely with vendors and contractors to ensure the system solutions operate as documented. Identifies roles and responsibilities for support, maintenance, integration and extension of vendor or contractor developed applications. May lead and/or participate in producing technical components of Request for Proposal (RFP) and Statement of Work (SOW) documents.
11. Researches options for using and/or integrating third-party applications into the PCC environment as components of the college's overall servers virtualizing solution.
12. Provides consultation to departments and divisions regarding system administration functionality and advises on best course of action. Performs feasibility studies for proposed system administration solutions prior to product acquisition and development, and conducts pilot projects for system enhancements or new systems.
13. Participates in vendor user groups and technology/higher education conferences as a means for developing best-practice recommendations. Serves as technical advisor and resource to other technology teams.
14. Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
15. Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
16. Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries and other components.
17. Performs system support and administration duties, as assigned.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Associate's degree in Computer Information Systems or related discipline (relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis).
Four years of experience in:
Managing enterprise Virtualization Environment (VMware) and Server/System Administration in a large information technology organization.
Networking and network administration, system administration, computing operations, and system security in both network environments and server management.
The above-mentioned qualifications could be demonstrated by possessing applicable certifications.
A valid Oregon Driver's License for operation of a motor vehicle in the State of Oregon.
Some positions may require a State of Oregon Limited Energy Technician-Class A.
- Four years of experience in managing enterprise Linux and Unix Server Administration in a large information technology organization.
- Experience with enterprise backup such as Avamar, NetBackup,..
- Experience with automated configuration management (Puppet, Chef, etc. - Puppet is preferred)
- Experience in programming/scripting skills for automation in at least Bash and Perl
- Experience with enterprise network architectures and SAN/NAS storage infrastructure
- Experience with Network Performance Monitor such as Nagios and SolarWinds
- Strong communications and procedure documentations skills
Additional Posting Information:
Additional Posting Information:
- Normally the starting salary for new employees will be at the entry salary for that level, unless approved for advanced salary placement.
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the "Preferred Qualifications" Question below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.