COMM/JMC/CAHSS Administrative Support Assistant II
COMM/JMC/CAHSS Administrative Support Assistant II
Humboldt State University
(Job #17-26) Administrative Support Assistant II, COMM/JMC/CAHSS Administrative Support Assistant II, $1,820- $2,863/month. Appointments are typically made at the beginning of the salary range. This is a full-time, 10/12 pay plan (work 10 months of the year with pay and benefits spread over 12 months), benefited, non-exempt position with a one-year probationary period in the Department of Communication (COMM), the Department of Journalism & Mass Communication (JMC), and the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences (CAHSS).
Position Summary: Under the lead oversight of the Department Chair of Communication, the Department Chair of Journalism and Mass Communication, and the supervision of the Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, and receiving lead work direction from the Department Administrative Support Coordinator in the Departments of Communication and Journalism and Mass Communication, and the College Administrative Support Coordinator in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, the incumbent is responsible for administrative and clerical support of two departmental offices and the College office. The incumbent will split time between three separate and distinct work locations: 10 hours per week (25% of time base) working out of the Communication's Office, supporting the Communication Department; 10 hours per week (25% of time base) working out of the Journalism and Mass Communication's office, supporting the Journalism and Mass Communication Department, and 20 hours per week (50% of time base) working out of the College Dean's office, supporting the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
Duties: The incumbent supports the day-to-day operations of the two departments and College offices, performing clerical tasks to ensure college, department, administrative, and instructional requirements are met in a timely manner. The main duties of this position include general office and clerical support, maintaining student files and processing student forms, scheduling and coordinating department/college meetings and special events, administrative support for field trips in the departments, and scheduling appointments and maintaining the calendars for the Dean and the Associate Dean.
Minimum Qualifications: Education equivalent to a high school diploma and some clerical experience which has provided the incumbent with the knowledge, special skills, and abilities listed below.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: The successful candidate must demonstrate meticulous attention to detail and the ability to complete tasks on time within prescribed guidelines, as well as a thorough knowledge of modern office methods, procedures and practices. In addition, the successful candidate must have demonstrated ability to:
- Use correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation;
- Be proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software in a Windows environment;
- Perform work assignments in an accurate and timely manner;
- Multi-task, prioritize work, and tolerate frequent interruptions;
- Use strong organizational skills to allow for effective management of multiple tasks;
- Respond independently and accurately to a variety of inquiries from faculty, staff, students, administrators, and the general public;
- Interpret and apply established rules and regulations;
- Learn new processes, policies, and software programs as needed;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Process sensitive and confidential information in a responsible manner;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relations with co-workers and other campus personnel;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to cross-cultural perspectives and experiences;
- Be patient, considerate, and effective when interacting with a wide variety of faculty, staff, and student personalities;
- Work cooperatively with staff and faculty and deal sympathetically and effectively with students and the general public.
- Experience handling multiple, diverse tasks concurrently in a fast-paced setting;
- Experience in an academic department or administrative office at Humboldt State University;
- Knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft and OBI.
- Two years of progressively responsible clerical experience is preferred, as well as experience working in an academic office setting and working knowledge of PeopleSoft and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).
- Letter of Interest;
- HSU Employment Application at http://www2.humboldt.edu/forms/node/107;
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae;
- Contact information for at least three professional references
Please include your last name and the job # (17-26) in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: This position is open until filled. The first review of applications will be Thursday, April 6, 2017.
HSU is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, and administration. Persons with interest and experience in helping organizations set and achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
Siemens Hall - Room 211
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
Fax: (707) 826-3625
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide complete and accurate employment information. Incorrect or improperly completed applications will not be considered for vacancies. Any reference in this announcement to required periods of experience or education is full-time activity. Part-time experience or education - or activities only part of which are qualifying- -will receive proportionate credit. In accordance with applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements, preference may be given to the campus applicants covered by these agreements. However, positions are open to all interested applicants, both on and off campus.
Evidence of required degree(s), certification(s), or license(s) will be required prior to the appointment date. The successful candidate for a position at HSU is required to be fingerprinted through the Humboldt State University Police Department or their local law enforcement agency. The results of the fingerprint process must be received by the university prior to the candidate’s appointment. The cost of the fingerprinting is borne by the university.
Humboldt State University is committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the state. Additional information about Humboldt State University can be found at http://www.humboldt.edu.
Humboldt State University is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race,religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.