Assistant Professor of Hospitality and Tourism Management/Director of the Office of Tourism Analysi
The School of Business at the College of Charleston invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor and Director of the Office of Tourism Analysis, starting August 2017. The School is accredited by AACSB in both its business and accounting undergraduate programs. We are seeking a candidate to join our faculty in the Hospitality and Tourism Management area, who will teach Revenue Management and Hospitality & Tourism Technology. A Ph.D. in a hospitality and tourism related field is preferred.
As Assistant Professor and Director of the Office of Tourism Analysis, the faculty member will work with the Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management to conduct relevant research and performance monitoring projects relevant to the tourism and hospitality industry in the low country of South Carolina and beyond. These research projects include, but are not limited to, intercept survey of visitors, surveys of information inquirers, surveys of various festivals and events, economic impact study of tourism and hospitality industry, forecasting of visitor volumes and hotel occupancy, or other projects considered important to the area.
The specific responsibilities of the Director in the Office include:
1. Supervise and manage Research Coordinator and student workers;
2. Manage industrial relationships with relevant parties;
2.1 Maintain and manage relationship with the Charleston Area Convention Visitor Bureau;
3. Develop and cultivate new research funding partnerships;
3.1 Work in collaboration with faculty to develop research opportunities;
4. Hold budgeting responsibilities;
4.1 Coordinate spending and budgeting with the School of Business and Department;
5. Present and publicize research results to the industrial and academic communities;
5.1 This includes presentations, maintaining media relations and releasing results in both academic and industry publications;
5.2 Act as a liaison between the School of Business and the Department with local industry;
6. Maintain standards for accreditation.
6.1 Work in conjunction with the Chair of the Department to manage all aspects of accreditation related to both the Office and the Department.
7. Work to create strategic and manage partnerships with other universities.
As a faculty member of the Department, the Director is also responsible for:
1. Teach at least three/four courses per year (30-40 students per class),
2. Conduct academic research;
3. Supervise undergraduate honors student projects;
4. Service the Department, School of Business, the College of Charleston community;
5. Service the broad academic community in the chosen discipline.
To apply for the position, please upload:
1. A letter of application;
2. A current CV;
3. A copy of unofficial transcripts; and
4. Contact information for three references.
Position Type Tenure-track
School/Area School of Business
Department Hospitality and Tourism Management
Special Instructions to Applicants
We are seeking a candidate to join our faculty in the Hospitality and Tourism Management area who will teach courses in hospitality technology and/or revenue management; however, actual teaching responsibilities are negotiable.
The candidates’ primary duty will be as the Director of the Office of Tourism Analysis. This component of the job includes facilitating research opportunities, managing ongoing research contracts as well as a high degree of industry and community outreach. Service in School and College activities is also expected.
A Ph.D. in hospitality or tourism management is preferred. The School of Business is accredited by the AACSB . The teaching load for academically qualified faculty is 3 courses per semester (class size approximately 30-40 students). This position carries some course replacements for administrative duties.
Posting Date 10/03/2016
Closing Date 11/07/2016
Open Until Filled? Yes
Posting Number F2016024P
The College of Charleston is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability.
Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.cofc.edu/postings/5430
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter / Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Undergraduate Transcripts
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
- Teaching Philosophy
- Research and Professional Development Statement
- Other Document
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Reference List