Research Assistant - Rabies Lab (Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory)
General Description of Position: The Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant in the Rabies Lab. The personnel in this position will conduct test in the rabies laboratory including the performance of rabies antibody analyses on human and animal sera including serum neutralization and ELISA assays, the interpretation and reporting of serological and diagnostic results and maintaining the quality of test results. The person in this position will also assist with program operations including monitoring quality control data, accuracy of test result entry, SOP preparation and necessary updates. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.Job Description: - Rabies Serological Assays: Includes sample preparation, serum dilutions, virus growth and dilution, cell staining and microscopic reading of slides with calculation of results: package opening, data entry of test submissions, test results and quality control tracking and report generation; and may include training and directing student workers. - Identify and provide appropriate guidance to meet customers' rabies serology and diagnostic needs including problems with international travel of pets
- Quality System: Perform quality assessment and quality control documentation needed for the Rabies Lab to stay in compliance with regulations, assist in SOP updates and Corrective Actions. and related health information and update the website and other documents
- Customer Service: Assisting in customers via phone, email and fax. Provide assistance with clients concerning test submission, result interpretation, rabies vaccination protocols, and how that relates to the testing the laboratory does. Provide assistance with clients concerning rabies diagnostic issues.
- Rabies diagnostic assays: Includes sample collection, sample preparation, fixing, staining and reading of slides. Result data entry, including quality control data. Reporting by phone and fax.
- All other duties as assigned which include but are not limited to: performing ELISA assays, maintaining cell lines, representing the lab at technical meetings and general housekeeping.Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Two or more years of laboratory experience
- Bachelor of Science in biology or related science
- Competent computer skills including databases, spreadsheets, word processing and data entry are required. The applicant must have excellent written and oral, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Two or more years of laboratory experience in cell biology, clinical laboratory test procedures and quality review.
- Previous experience in serum neutralization testing and project management (research or service).
- Availability to work flexible hours (e.g. 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. or 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.)