CUNY Start Program Manager
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
CUNY Start is an intensive program for incoming college students, both high school and High School Equivalency (HSE) graduates, who need to increase their academic proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. The CUNY Office of Academic Affairs, six of the University's seven community colleges and the College of Staten Island work collaboratively to provide students with an innovative approach to developmental education. CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, ongoing professional development and a supportive approach to student development.
Reporting to the Executive Director for Adult Community Learning in the Division of Adult and Continuing Education (ACE) at LaGuardia Community College, the CUNY Start Manager ensures the successful implementation of the CUNY Start and Math Start model, goals, and outcomes, including successful recruitment of students to meet established targets;
- Supervises the campus CUNY Start and Math Start teams, including: day-to-day management of staff, provision of human resources information, participation in performance reviews, communication of CUNY Start standard policies and program updates;
- Manage all aspects of the campus CUNY Start and Math Start budgets, payroll, and human resource systems.
- Establishes and maintains relationships on behalf of the CUNY Start and Math Start programs with campus departments, including admissions, testing and any other departments that can assist with referral of students into the program and support their matriculation into degree programs upon completion;
- Ensures CUNY Start and Math Start have appropriate space to operate, including classrooms, office space, and computer labs;
- Works closely with the CUNY Start University Director and Central Office Leadership team to develop and standardize program operations;
- Collaborates with the CUNY Start curriculum and professional development team (math, writing/reading and advisement) to support successful delivery of the CUNY Start curriculum and the development of teachers and advisors in the program's instructional model at his/her campus;
- Manages ongoing communications regarding CUNY Start and Math Start with college leadership;
- Works in a flexible, collaborative, and responsive manner with multiple stakeholders to achieve CUNY Start and Math Start outcomes and goals;
- Utilizes program data (provided by the CUNY Start Research and Evaluation team) to discuss CUNY Start and Math Start outcomes with college leadership and for ongoing program development purposes.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
Master's Degree in education, higher education, student services or a related field strongly preferred. Five years of work experience in education, preferably in adult education at the college level working with diverse populations. Able to work in a fast-paced environment with strong written and oral communication skills, along with knowledge of PeopleSoft systems preferred.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages a comprehensive support program to promote learning and academic success for a targeted student population.
- Develops, recommends, and implements program goals and objectives to meet students' specialized needs; coordinates delivery of services across multiple functions, developing new programs and activities as needed
- Advocates for students, and partners with academic and student support functions to ensure students effectively utilize programs and services; collaborates with counselors, mentors, and others assisting students
- Maintains ongoing communications with targeted student population as well as department management, advisory groups, and external organizations
- Collects data for, analyzes, and reports on activities and outcomes
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: CUNY Start Program Manager
Job ID: 16527
Full/Part Time: Full-Time