Team Building Coordinator
Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 03-27-2017
The mission of Campus Recreation is to enhance the quality of life of our unique members by educating and encouraging the active participation in recreational opportunities that develop leadership skills, foster social interaction and reinforce healthy behaviors.
This position is responsible for the daily operation of assigned Adventure Program activities. The Adventure program includes team building, trips, equipment rental and climbing wall activities with special events occurring for both areas. This position is primary focused on the team building and trip program areas, but will participate in equipment rental and climbing wall activities as assigned. The position is responsible for training and mentoring a large number of students and may supervise up to 2 graduate assistants. The position has program and policy development expectations and is a member as part of the Campus Recreation leadership team.
1. A Bachelor's Degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g., Kinesiology, Physical Education, or closely related field).*#
2. Two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the promotion, design, development, and administration of recreational programs*
*Note: An advanced degree (Master's or higher) in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Exercise Science, or closely related field may substitute in meeting the qualifications in number 1 and count for one year of experience in number 2 above.
#Master's degree will count towards experience if earned prior to start date (July 2017). Applicant will be required to provide transcripts at that time (may be unofficial).
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Master's degree preferred.
2. Familiarity with a broad range of outdoor equipment and the ability to maintain equipment inventory including procurement and rental operations.
3. Demonstrated experience successfully managing/facilitating a low and high ropes challenge course and/or indoor climbing and bouldering wall.
4. Familiarity with inspecting facility for risk management or maintenance concerns and resolving problems independently prior to activity.
5. Current membership/involvement in one or more of the following professional organizations: ACCT, AEE, AMGA, AORE, NOLS, NIRSA, etc.
6. Demonstrated experience in the training and supervision of student employees and volunteers to accomplish program operations.
7. Valid driver's license and/or ability to obtain valid driver's license.
8. Availability to work flexible shifts, evenings and weekends depending on activities being offered.
9. Ability to communicate proficiently both verbally and in writing.
10. Experience with successful event management and/or coordination.
11. Familiarity and comfort with RecTrac or similar software package.
12. Possess American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor certification or must obtain within the first year of employment.
13. Current National Certification or equivalent in one of the following: ACCT Level 1 Challenge Course Practitioner; ACCT Level 2 Challenge Course Practitioner; ACCT Challenge Course Manager; AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor; PCIA Top Rope Climbing Instructor; and/or AMGA Single Pitch Instructor
14. Demonstrated experience using and maintaining a wide range of outdoor equipment as a component of a rental operation.
15. Demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite 2010 or equivalent product.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.