Associate or Full Professor in Interior Design
The School of Interiors at the University of Kentucky College of Design seeks a dynamic tenured associate or full professor to transform its graduate program offerings. The candidate would join a team of talented and engaging faculty of nine individuals with diverse training and experience in design. This individual would help the School to meet its mission by inspiring future design talent through excellent teaching, significant research and creative work, and exemplary service to make the world a better place through design.
Celebrating 40+ years of interior design education, the program was accredited in 1981 and has maintained prominence in Interior Design education through the reputations of its faculty. Interiors merged with Architecture and Historic Preservation to form the three-unit College of Design in 2002. Through the recently published college strategic plan (Vision 2021) it is anticipated that the college will expand to offer Urban Design, Building Technologies, and Product Design.
The ideal candidate would:
• work to articulate and innovate various pathways towards a graduate education alongside a traditional two-year master's degree;
• forge connections with the highly successful undergraduate program;
• serve as the coordinator of graduate studies for a cohort of students from varied backgrounds seeking advanced study in design;
• mentor graduate students and faculty pursuing tenure at the early stages of their careers;
• have proven success in scholarship or creative activities;
• bring dynamic approaches in research and design to the School;
• connect the Interiors graduate program to the expanding graduate programs in the College;
• expand or enhance one of the current research focus areas for the School including health societies, global design, thriving communities, future learning, and sustainable earth.
Advanced degree required (PhD encouraged) with at least one degree in interior design or a closely allied discipline.
Applicants should include:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Cover Letter
• Specific Request 1: a 1-3 page statement addressing your vision for integrating teaching and academic scholarship relative to the described position
• Specific Request 2: portfolio containing examples of professional work, design research, scholarship, and teaching effectiveness as relevant to your background
Please provide the names and contact information for at least three references when prompted in the application. This information will be utilized to solicit recommendation letters from your references within the employment system.
Review of applications will begin March 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Please contact the Search Committee Chair, Asst. Professor Lindsey Fay (firstname.lastname@example.org). The anticipated start date for the position is August 15, 2017.
Associate or Full Professor in Interior Design
8N500:Sch of Interiors:Planning/Strategy/Desig
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Master Degree in Interior Design or closely allied discipline
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
PhD with at least one degree in Interior Design or closely related discipline
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- Interior Design Educators Council
- Environmental Design Research Association
- International Interior Design Association
- American Society of Interior Designers
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Academic Keys
- A Colleague, Family Member, and/or Friend
- None of the Above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- Specific Request 1
- Specific Request 2