Student LEADS Support Specialist
Situated in the Office of Student Engagement at Guttman Community College, this position will focus on the career readiness of students with disabilities at both Guttman Community College and the School of Professional Studies.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required; Master's degree and experience working in academic, career advisement or job placement functions with students with disabilities preferred. Must have excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills; should demonstrate proficiency in computer and database skills. Prefer experience serving individuals from cross-disability backgrounds and knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act and other key disability legislation.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides students in the CUNY LEADS program with advice and support to make academic and career choices that lead to successful employment outcomes. LEADS stands for "Linking Employment, Academics and Disability Services".
- Recruits CUNY students into the LEADS program based on established criteria
- Coordinates services with other college units including disability and career services offices
- Coordinates services with outside agencies as needed
- Advises students on job readiness and placement, and on linking academic programs to short- and long-term career goals
- Conducts group workshops and provides individualized advice on career skills such as resume writing, interview preparation, advocacy, and disclosure issues
- Develops internship and mentoring opportunities and makes student placements
- Records contacts and activities in CUNY's "Efforts to Outcomes" database
- Applies knowledge of issues and developments in disability-related law (such as the A.D.A.) and in disability advocacy
- Collaborates with other LEADS professionals on University-wide communications and initiatives
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Before applying, candidates are strongly encouraged to visit the Stella and Charles Guttman Community College website (www.guttman.cuny.edu) to learn more about the new institution.
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID (16538) or Title (Student LEADS Support Specialist).
Make sure to upload a cover letter and resume with the contact information of 3 professional references (as one document), by the closing date.
April 22, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Guttman Community College
Job Title: Student LEADS Support Specialist
Job ID: 16538
Full/Part Time: Full-Time