SEVIS Specialist/Assistant Director, ISSS
The College of Staten Island (CSI) is a City University of New York (CUNY) senior College organized around two academic divisions and three schools, with over 14,000 students. CSI offers a broad range of academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences, and in several professional areas. The College awards associate's, bachelor's, master's and clinical doctoral degrees, and in collaboration with The CUNY Graduate Center, numerous Ph.D. degrees. CSI's internationally recognized faculty passionately engage in scholarly and artistic activities, and together with a strong professional staff, lead students through transformational learning experiences both inside and outside of the classroom. The College is situated on a 204-acre site, has recently incorporated a residential component, and is currently engaging in capital expansion. It is a hub of intellectual and artistic activity and a community partner and source of economic impact and job creation for the greater Staten Island area.
The College's faculty, administration, and staff are committed to educational excellence as they instill in students an enduring love of learning and respect for pluralism and diversity. The College community recognizes its responsibility to strive for the common good, including an informed appreciation for the interdependence of all people, as well as providing students with the opportunities for successful future careers.
The SEVIS Specialist/Assistant Director of International Student & Scholar Services is a member of the professional staff team at the Center for Global Engagement at the College of Staten Island/CUNY. The Center for Global Engagement is a comprehensive international education office at the College of Staten Island (CSI) and includes services for international students and scholars, study abroad, and English language learning. The position serves to ensure that the institution is in compliance with regulatory matters pertaining to international students and scholars at the College of Staten Island and supports the Center for Global Engagement's mission in international education by serving as part of the advising team for the international student and scholar population, including students enrolled in the English Language Institute (ELI).
Reporting to the Center for Global Engagement Deputy Director (who serves also as the Director of the International Student & Scholar Services unit), the SEVIS Specialist:
- Advises and counsels on issues relevant to SEVIS compliance.
- Serves as a Designated School Official (DSO) for the F program. Serves as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J program.
- Advises students, scholars and departments to facilitate institutional compliance with federal regulations of the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State.
- Ensures that all necessary filings and reporting are made in a timely and accurate manner.
- Conducts extensive web-based monitoring of F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors, as well as the eventual monitoring of these records in a batch processing environment.
- Manages records and databases for record-keeping and case management purposes.
- Makes recommendations about software and other technological products for better record-keeping.
- Conducts informational, training and orientation programs for international students and scholars. Writes training or informational modules for enhanced delivery of services.
- Prepares reports about international student and scholars at CSI.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Preferred Qualifications include:
Master's degree preferred. Experience working with SEVIS as a DSO/PDSO and/or RO/ARO in an office which has an international educational exchange focus. Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office, knowledge of internet and database tools and technology along with the ability to conduct complex inquiries are required. Experience working with students and/or scholars from diverse cultural backgrounds. Knowledge of F and J immigration regulations required. Excellent written and oral skills in the English language are necessary. As per the Department of Homeland Security requirements, U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required in order to serve as a DSO or ARO.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Organizes and administers programs to support the success of international students.
- Coordinates international student recruitment and enrollment services
- Collects, evaluates, and reports information on a number of international student success factors
- Works with campus departments on programs which promote the success of international students
- Creates and implements communications strategies, workshops/events, and other special resources to support the international student community
- Monitors compliance activities at the campus (e.g., visas, SEVIS and other reports) and stays current on regulations and other developments
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit http://cuny.jobs/ and enter the Job ID# in the "What" section field. Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information) as one file.
April 22, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: College of Staten Island
Job Title: SEVIS Specialist/Assistant Director, ISSS
Job ID: 16542
Full/Part Time: Full-Time