Physical Education/Athletics Assistant
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Physical Education for Las Positas College in Livermore, California.
Under general supervision, provide support to the physical education and athletic programs to ensure efficient operation; order, organize, store, distribute, issue, collect, maintain, and repair athletic equipment, supplies, and clothing for physical education classes and intercollegiate athletics; oversee and maintain security of locker room areas; issue locks and lockers to students; set up fields and courts for various physical education classes and athletic events; maintain inventory and records for supplies and equipment; and drive athletes and equipment to away athletic games as necessary.
Job Title Physical Education/Athletics Assistant
Position Type Classified
Position Code 3CPE03
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $3,559.58/month
Job Location Las Positas College, 3000 Campus Hill Dr., Livermore, CA 94551
Department Kinesiology/Athletics, Health & Business
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
1. Clean, order, inspect, mark, issue, store, maintain, repair, and inventory a variety of athletic and physical education equipment and clothing; collect and inspect equipment and materials for proper condition upon return.
2. Operate a computer to set up and maintain equipment inventories, receive and inventory merchandise from department purchase orders, and maintain records of locker assignment and lock combination; update, add and delete information as required; maintain data; design and work in spreadsheets.
3. Oversee and maintain security of locker room areas; issue locks and lockers; assist with lock and locker problems; remove locks from abandoned lockers; maintain records of issuance; clean lockers and prepare for reissue.
4. Maintain locker room areas; assure student health and safety by performing necessary custodial work in the absence of the custodian by sweeping, mopping, dusting, cleaning, and sanitizing locker room and shower areas when needed; set-up, maintain, clean, and organize equipment and storage rooms.
5. Set up athletic facilities for physical education classes and athletic events according to sports’ specifications or instructor directions; issue equipment and supplies; break down and inventory equipment after each event; store for subsequent usage.
6. Drive a District vehicle to off-campus events as assigned.
7. Assist with scoring systems operation as necessary.
8. Provide assistance to students, faculty, and staff; respond to inquiries and requests for information regarding athletic and physical education programs or events; assist in resolving complaints or problems.
9. Perform basic first aid procedures in emergency situations in accordance with established guidelines; call for medical attention as required.
10. Maintain records and prepare various reports including weekly sports report for release to the College and affiliates.
11. Train and provide work direction and guidance to student workers as assigned.
12. Perform related duties as required.
Minimum Education and Experience
Any combination of the following would provide a typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Two years of increasingly responsible experience in the repair and maintenance of athletic uniforms and equipment.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class B driver’s license with multiple passenger endorsement (over 16 passengers) within probationary period.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, first aid and CPR certificates within probationary period.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
1. Equipment, materials and supplies used in team and individual physical education and sports programs.
2. Use, maintenance, storage, inventory, and purchase methods of equipment and supplies used in physical education and athletics programs.
3. Various physical education and athletic programs offered at a community college.
4. Basic rules for athletic events.
5. Basic health and safety regulations and appropriate precautions and procedures.
6. Techniques and applications of first aid and CPR.
7. Custodial cleaning methods, materials and tools.
8. Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and supporting software applications.
9. Principles and procedures of record keeping and filing.
10. Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
11. Basic principles of supervision and training.
1. Stock, receive, mark, issue, collect, inventory, and store athletic and physical education equipment and uniforms.
2. Make routine repairs to physical education and athletic equipment and determine when equipment must be replaced.
3. Set-up, repair, and maintain a variety of athletic and physical education equipment.
4. Administer basic first aid.
5. Drive athletes and various athletic equipment to games and events.
6. Understand and follow oral and written directions.
7. Work independently in the absence of supervision.
8. Organize work to meet schedules and deadlines.
9. Perform assigned work within established time schedule.
10. Use courtesy and tact when dealing with staff and the public.
11. Demonstrate a sensitivity to relate to persons with diverse socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic background, including the disabled.
12. Observe health and safety rules and regulations.
13. Operate office equipment including computers and supporting software applications.
14. Prepare and maintain accurate, orderly, and timely records and reports.
15. Train and provide work direction to
16. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
17. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
18. Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
Two years of increasingly responsible experience in the repair and maintenance of athletic uniforms and equipments.
Job Work Schedule
40 hours/week, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., hours may vary depending on department needs, occasional evening and weekends required as needed, 12 months/year.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments; travel from site to site; work with a variety of athletic equipment; exposure to noise, dust, unpleasant odors, and inclement weather conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces. Positions may be required to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an indoor/outdoor environment; walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, and twist; push, pull, lift, and/or carry moderate to heavy amounts of weights; operate assigned equipment and vehicles; verbally communicate to exchange information.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number AS056P
Open Date 03/24/2017
Close Date 05/05/2017
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Other Document
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER