United States Institute of Peace (USIP) Librarian
I. RECRUITMENT PLAN
Posting Number: F001062 Academic Title: United States Institute of Peace (USIP) Librarian Rank: Administrative Title: United States Institute of Peace (USIP) Librarian Discipline Libraries Specialty: Contract Type: Librarian, Time-Limited Appointment (provide appt period) - This position is currently funded through 6/30/2018, and will expire on 6/30/2018 unless additional funding is obtained. Required Licenses/Certifications and other Specific Requirements: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Proposed Start Date: 03/01/2017 Full-Time/Part-Time: Part-Time Position Description Summary:
The George Washington University is the largest research university in the nation's capital and is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. GW offers undergraduate and graduate programs in many disciplines and currently enrolls approximately 25,000 students in ten colleges and schools at three campuses in the District of Columbia and Virginia. GW Libraries supports the teaching, learning, and research goals of the GW university community, and is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC), the Chesapeake Information and Research Library Alliance, and the Northeast Research Libraries Consortium. For more information on the university and GW Libraries, visit http://library.gwu.edu/.
Located a few blocks from GW's Foggy Bottom campus, the United States Institute of Peace (USIP) "works to prevent, mitigate, and resolve violent conflict around the world. USIP does this by engaging directly in conflict zones and by providing analysis, education, and resources to those working for peace. Created by Congress in 1984 as an independent, nonpartisan, federally funded organization, USIP's more than 300 staff work at the Institute's D.C. headquarters, and on the ground in the world's most dangerous regions." For more information on the USIP, visit https://www.usip.org/.
Under the direction of a Research Services Coordinator, the USIP Librarian is a member of the GW Libraries' Research and User Services division and will be located at the Gelman Library at the university's Foggy Bottom campus. The USIP Librarian serves as the GW Libraries' primary liaison and point of contact for Visiting Research Scholars from the United States Institute of Peace.Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will provide a variety of services and support to Visiting Research Scholars and other members of the GW university community, including, but not limited to:
• Provide basic research and reference assistance (online and in-person)
• Develop and offer training and other instruction sessions on library resources and research
• Hold individual, in-depth research consultations
• Facilitate access to the library and the library's resources for Visiting Research Scholars
• Develop and maintain research guides and other web-based research tools
• Conduct outreach and distribute relevant information about library resources and services to USIP
• Advise and support collection development as needed in subjects relevant to USIP research
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, D.C. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
• Master's degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited library program or equivalent
• Demonstrate the ability to work creatively and independently as well as collaboratively and as part of a team
• Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and service-orientation
• Demonstrate excellent time management skills
Librarians receive 22 days/year paid annual leave. The annual leave allowance is pro-rated for regular part-time librarians.Other Information:
• One-to-two years' professional library experience, including experience with research/reference and instruction
• Degree or background in political science, international affairs, or area studies
• Working knowledge of a foreign language
Please upload a cover letter that includes an assessment of skills related to basic qualifications, and a curriculum vitae.
Review of applications will begin February 27, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered.Department Link: http://library.gwu.edu/ Posting Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.Quick Link http://www.gwu.jobs/postings/40169
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master's degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited library program or equivalent?
- * Can you demonstrate the ability to work creatively and independently as well as collaboratively and as part of a team?
- * Do you demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills?
- * Do you demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and service-orientation?
- * Do you demonstrate excellent time management skills?
- Do you have one-to-two years' professional library experience, including experience with research/reference and instruction?
- Do you have a degree or background in political science, international affairs, or area studies?
- Do you have a working knowledge of a foreign language? If so, which one(s)?
(Open Ended Question)
- What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter