Organic/General Chemistry Professor
Organic/General Chemistry Professor
College of the Sequoias Community College District
Opening Date: March 22, 2017
Closing Date: April 21, 2017
Full-Time, Tenure-Track Position
Beginning August 11, 2017
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting faculty who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Description of Position
College of the Sequoias is seeking a candidate to fill a full- time, tenured-track position in the Chemistry Department beginning August 11, 2017. Teaching assignments will include General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Chemistry courses for Allied Health students. Initial assignment may include evening classes, weekend classes, and teaching at our locations in Visalia, Hanford, and/or Tulare.
The candidate must meet one of the following criteria. The degree must be from an institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or the equivalent.
• Master's in chemistry OR
• Bachelor's in chemistry or biochemistry AND Master's in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology, or geochemistry OR
• The equivalent AND
• Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Note: If claiming equivalency, please refer to Board Policy 7211.
The Science Division/Chemistry Department is looking for evidence of the following:
• Experience teaching a wide variety of courses at the post-secondary level that includes introductory and majors courses.
• Ability and experience in developing lecture and laboratory activities, course syllabi, and instructional materials that support student success.
• Ability to incorporate student learning outcome objectives within course and programs and willingness to use and develop stated objectives and measures.
• Experience adapting instruction to meet the needs of a diverse student population.
• One full year graduate level organic chemistry.
• Strong background in laboratory instrumentation such as FT-IR, GC and NMR.
• Graduate and/or undergraduate coursework related to teaching.
• Familiarity with the educational needs of students pursuing science careers.
Conditions of Employment
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Initial placement with Master's degree ranges from $57,943 to $76,393.
Medical/dental/vision insurance program for employee and dependents and $100,000 employee life insurance is provided.
Retirement Plan provided.
Contract period is for ten (10) months during the regular academic year beginning August 2017 through May 2018.
Pre-service orientation and/or inservice meetings will be offered in August 2017.
A collective bargaining agreement exists, and membership in the College of the Sequoias Teachers Association (COSTA) or payment of a service fee is required.
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by the screening committee. Application materials will be evaluated to determine how fully the applicant meets the Desirable Qualifications. The most successful interviewees will be invited to a second interview with the District President. All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
All applications must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
April 21, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
Applicants must submit the following material to be considered:
• Completed COS Academic/Administrative application. • Diversity Statement (included in the application packet)
• Letter of interest which addresses the Desirable
Qualifications. In this letter we invite applicants to expand on strengths not covered in other parts of the application.
• Curriculum Vitae or Resume
• A copy of a graded exam that earned a grade of C that you have used in a course. Specify the level of the course in which the exam was used.
• Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university work. (If transcripts are not in English, include a summary of courses and grades). Official transcripts are required upon employment.
• Equivalency documents (If necessary)
• Two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies.
Notice to all candidates for employment
"College of the Sequoias Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law."
The District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, please contact a representative from Human Resources at (559) 730-3867 to request a reasonable accommodation."