Job Category: Fulltime Regular
Under supervision from the Director of Campus Operations and Maintenance, supervises the heating, ventilation and air conditioning maintenance activities for Caltech.
Caltech offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes a broad range of programs. We offer benefits which include health and dental coverage, generous holiday and vacation leave accrual plans, a competitive retirement option, life insurance and other types of financial protection, tuition assistance for staff members, child care programs, credit union memberships, library privileges, and participation in cultural and social events.
In addition, as one of the top rated institutions in the world, Caltech offers the opportunity to work in a stimulating and diverse environment.
If you are passionate about creating what is possible, consider coming to work at Caltech - apply online today!
- Use the Caltech Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS) to create, assign and Schedule planned and unplanned maintenance work orders.
- Use the IWMS for daily staff employee work management timekeeping reviews and approvals.
- Use the Caltech Timekeeping System (KRONOS) for daily review of staff time-card activity for payroll.
- Enhance customer satisfaction by establishing regular communications regarding maintenance and repair activities for affected discipline(s).
- Perform field inspections to review work progress and resolve work conflicts.
- Assures compliance with applicable building codes and the Caltech Design Guide.
- Work closely with the Facilities Management Controls Shop, Planning Shop, and other trades in support of HVAC planned and unplanned maintenance.
- Manage Caltech resources for optimum effectiveness.
- Manage shop budgets and report financial performance status.
- Utilize the Caltech Facilities materials management processes to support the efficient ordering and deployment of materials needed in support of HVAC maintenance.
- Enhance the performance of licensed heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration technicians.
- Respond to trouble calls, emergency conditions, and analyze routine work requests for timely execution and completion.
- Enforce adherence to campus fire, life safety, confined space, lock-out and tag-out procedures.
- Perform and maintain up to date records for all safety inspections, tests, maintenance, and repairs.
- Maintain technical proficiency with new equipment technologies, regulatory requirements and engineering advances in improved operational performance.
- Evaluates shop personnel for performance, training, work schedules, vacations, discipline and merit salary adjustments.
- Assist and supervise third party contractors and vendors awarded campus work.
- Provide written and oral reports effectively.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ten years or more of supervisory experience in a large campus or facility construction environment in operation and maintenance of HVAC equipment.
- Five years or more of journeyman level experience in the HVAC trade and expertise with all test instruments and tools of the trade.
- Knowledge of building codes, regulatory requirements, licensing and inspections.
- Ability to correctly and skillfully operate the various standard tools and equipment of the HVAC trade, e.g., test lamps, ammeters, voltmeters, torches, pressure gauges, refrigerant reclamation, etc.
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand technical language in wiring diagrams.
- Ability to modify and/or adapt designs, procedures, or methods to make necessary alterations and modifications.
- Communicate professionally in English with members of the Caltech community in all situations.
- Software proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Project, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments.
- Skill in estimating material and labor requirements to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to work various shifts as well as overtime and weekends.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to maintain it throughout the course of employment.
- Strong English oral and written communication skills are required. Use correct punctuation, vocabulary, spelling, and sentence structure. Follow written instructions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds of tools, equipment and supplies on a daily basis, bend in all directions, climb stairs and ladders, squeeze with arms and hands, operate machinery using hands, and work outdoors in all kinds of weather and distinguish among colors and work in confined spaces.
- BS Degree in an appropriate construction or maintenance related technical or engineering field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent on-the-job training and experience.
- Proficiency with AssetWorks AiM and Kronos, or similar preventive maintenance and timekeeping software, would be a plus.
- Strong teamwork, project management and problem resolution skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.