DIRECTOR, MARKETING & PUBLIC RELATIONS
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
DIRECTOR, MARKETING & PUBLIC RELATIONS
Position #: 1700037
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Bachelor's Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
MANAGEMENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$118,747-$140,722 Annual Salary (Range M30: Management 2015-2016 Salary Schedule). Starting salary placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Manager, Supervisor, and Confidential employees also receive 22 vacation days, 17 holidays, 12 sick leave days and 6 administrative leave days per year.
The Director of Marketing & Public Relations reports to the College President at San Jose City College. This a full-time, 12 months per year, classified management position.
Under the direction of the College President or assigned administrator, the Director of Marketing & Public Relations plans, organizes, orchestrates and evaluates a variety of activities in order to develop and maintain a strong and positive public image for the College. The Director presents the College to the community at large through the development and maintenance of relationships with K-12 partners, elected officials, corporations and/or other targeted entities. Incumbent in this position develops marketing and advertising campaigns, including written content and story material for website, social media, and College publications to advance the College's goals at the local, state and national level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, implement, and coordinate the College’s marketing, advertising and public relations programs to advance the goals and mission of the College.
- Coordinate and supervise all media relations for the college to ensure accurate and timely coverage of college events and news, utilizing newspaper, radio, television, and social media; serve as lead media spokesperson for the college; represent and act on the President’s behalf to the media when appropriate.
- Write press releases, articles, announcements, presentations, profiles and stories highlighting students and programs that support college and campus communications and meet the College’s outreach efforts.
- Provide counsel to the President, faculty and staff regarding current and potential public relations, community relations, and marketing and communication issues.
- Coordinate and direct all college marketing and community activities to best represent the college to a variety of audiences in an effort to maintain and/or increase student enrollment.
- Plan, coordinate and direct selected special events or tours (both small and large) that attract media coverage and attendance of key groups such as elected officials, corporate sector leaders, K-12 leaders and community based organizations.
- Act as a liaison with the media, elected officials, donors, alumni and other key constituents in alignment with college goals.
- Monitor issues, trends and events in the community, predict consequences and advise the President and other management on planned programs of action.
- Establish, nurture and maintain positive external relationships with individuals, businesses, elected officials and community-based organizations that support the College’s outreach efforts.
- Direct and oversee the design and structure of the college website; review and approve all web related promotional products.
- Arrange for interviews with personnel for print and broadcast media and for special events.
- Coordinate the photography and video needs and other relevant activities for special College events.
- Participate and lead the creation and implementation of a strategic plan for the marketing and community relations functional area at the College.
- Attend the Foundation Board meetings, serve on pertinent Foundation committees and participate in community and social events that promote the College and cultivate relationships leading to philanthropic gifts.
- Prepare comprehensive reports, including researching, compiling and analyzing data for special projects and reports; provide information and assistance to members of the general public, the media and other institutions and organizations.
- Develop and administer the annual budget for the department; analyze and review budgetary and financial data; control and authorize expenditures in accordance with established resources and limitations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge:
- Principles and techniques of communications, community, and public relations.
- Federal, State, District and other applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures related to assigned activities.
- Research and analysis techniques.
- Conflict resolutions principles and techniques.
- Budget preparation and control.
- Needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of the community, District employees and students.
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision, and training.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Interpret and assure compliance with diversity and related service area rules, regulations, laws, policies and procedures.
- Present a positive image of the College in the broader community.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of communication strategy and action.
- Work effectively with community and business leaders, residents, managers, students, and employees across various functions and areas.
- Write news releases, and comprehensive narrative and statistical reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Work independently with little direction.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related field including marketing, communications or education.
2. Five years of experience related to marketing and public relations.
3. Three years of supervisory experience.
4. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
5. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Typical office environment.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 30 % Hispanic/Latino, 16% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 47% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities