PROGRAM SPECIALIST (METAS)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
PROGRAM SPECIALIST (METAS)
Position #: 1700039
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$52,619 - $64,226 Annual Salary (Range 89: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2015-2016). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 17 paid holidays.
The Program Specialist reports to the Director of METAS at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (May work some evenings and/or weekends).
Under the direction of the Program Director or other administrator, to coordinate a large number of activities within a special program ranging from recruitment to producing handouts and marketing materials and providing information to student participants. Functional direction may be provided by a Counselor or Instructor assigned to the program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of program activities.
- Conduct community outreach, including public presentations and expanding and maintaining a community network, both on and off campus; presentations to be to both student groups and community members.
- Produce and disseminate communication materials.
- Plan and organize orientations and events.
- Attend a variety of program-related functions on and off campus.
- Coordinate general front office activities including referring students to appropriate locations, answering the phones, assisting in preparing reports and program correspondence.
- Collect and assemble statistical data regarding program activities and achievements.
- Maintain program accounts and perform regular bookkeeping activities.
- Provide general administrative support to the program.
- Learn and follow program policies and procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Office administrative practices and procedures including filing and the operation of standard office equipment, particularly personal and online computers and appropriate application software - MS Office suite of applications, Internet browsers.
- Ability to demonstrate success in communicating effectively before diverse audiences, establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships, speak and write clearly in English, and work with attention to detail.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any combination equivalent to an Associate’s degree and two years of related work experience.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities