Associate Vice President of Fiscal Affairs
The Associate Vice President for Fiscal Affairs (AVPFA) advises the CFO on all matters pertaining to the management and operation of the following units/functions: accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, budget management and control, payroll, student aid disbursement, plant operations, public safety, human resources, distribution center, auxiliary operations and information technology. Additionally, the AVPFA must promote a customer-oriented service attitude as well as ensuring operations are functioning with compliance mandates. The AVPFA must build relationships with university administration, academic departments and units outside the CFO’s responsibility in order to provide sound guidance and direction on finance and accounting procedures and explore ways the finance function can support their operations.
The oversight responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversees and/or assists in the management of all financial-based service units across campus reporting to the CFO.
- Ensures that those units that service students’ needs are practicing customer service oriented support.
- Oversees the business-related operations that include offices managed by the university’s Controller and Bursar.
- Oversees procurement, including purchasing, solicitations, departmental procurement cards, property control, mailroom services, real estate acquisitions, risk management and insurance.
- Assists with negotiations of all contracts for construction and renovation of facilities projects.
- Consults with the deans and department heads on accounting and reporting issues.
- Oversees the maintenance and construction of facilities and ensures a process to monitor and evaluate facilities on a regular basis to address deferred maintenance, renovation, and repair needs.
- Works closely with Human Resources in the ongoing monitoring of the effectiveness of the compensation plan.
- Provides general assistance as post-award compliance officer to ensure accurate reporting as required by grants and federal contracts.
- Provides assistance and oversight of budget management, monitoring appropriate investments of temporary cash balances, exercising executive control over University budgets, and safeguarding all financial assets of the University
- Assists the CFO and Budget Director in the development of the institutional operating budget.
- Demonstrates an entrepreneurial spirit and an innovative approach to financial planning, budgeting and execution.
- Understands mission based budgeting and serves as the financial liaison with entity partners and or affiliates in refining methodologies used for financing the academic mission.
- Participates in the institutional strategic planning efforts and coordinates the development of the budget to further those efforts.
- Works with the Bursar and others to ensure that cash is collected, deposited and posted to the student accounts on a timely basis.
- Oversees the development of internal financial programs, policies, controls and setting of strong financial standards in all budgeted areas of the university. Ensures that the units are following appropriate compliance mandates.
- Lead the establishment, implementation and enforcement of appropriate internal controls and financial policies and procedures.
- Coordinates audits by state, federal and independent auditors to ensure they have the proper information they need to perform their tasks.
- Oversees the development, implementation and maintenance of the financial accounting systems and monthly financial reports.
- Ensures compliance with the mission and strategic plan of the University by collaborating with others across the University to develop and review unit plans, goals, and objectives; ensures that those plans are aligned with the budgeting process; developing effective business processes incorporating automation with appropriate technologies; and designing systems of effective controls to guide work toward expected outcomes.
The ideal candidate will be a proven leader and financial executive with progressive experience related to fiscal affairs within a complex and vibrant organization and have a successful record of sound administrative and responsible financial judgment within such organizations.
- BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA and/or Master’s degree preferred.
- 8-19 years of finance and administration leadership experience in a higher education institution is preferred or equivalent experience in support of or monitoring of financial operations of a higher education institution.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to share information; carry out initiatives and serve as a mentor.
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team.
- Strategic thinking and superior analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience exercising considerable judgment and resourcefulness.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence through personal credibility, integrity and professionalism.
- Excellent written and presentation skills.
- Collaborative consensus builder; flexible and open to input.
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent priorities.
- Capable of operation in a confidential environment.
- Understanding of policies and procedures required by institutions of higher education in the University System of Georgia.
- Proficiency with personal computer to include word processing, working with databases, spreadsheet applications and a working understanding of such Higher Education systems such as PeopleSoft, Banner, and Financial Aid reporting.
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form: State of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, and on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment and attend this training every year thereafter.
Commensurate with education, training and experience.