Associate Director of Housing for Residential Life - University Housing (A1700167)
Associate Director of Housing for Residential Life
University Housing, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Applications are now being accepted for the Associate Director of Housing for Residential Life position for University Housing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The Associate Director of Housing for Residential Life provides leadership and direction to the undergraduate residence halls experience serving approximately 9000 residents within 24 undergraduate residence halls which includes: program development, evaluation and assessment; living and learning communities; social justice and leadership education; conference services; community standards and safety programs; and the hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of staff. The Associate Director of Housing for Residential Life directly supervises Assistant Directors and is responsible for 56 full-time staff and over 1300 student staff and volunteers. The Associate Director of Housing for Residential Life reports directly to the Director of University Housing, is a member of the executive team and participates in departmental strategic planning initiatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs the services, programs, operations, and staff of the Residential Life unit. Responsibilities also include 11 living learning communities, conference services, management of the Student Dining and Residential Programs (SDRP) building, and four (4) residence hall libraries.
- Directly supervises and conducts annual performance evaluations for a team of six (6) assistant directors with responsibilities for supervision, training and recruitment; living learning communities; community standards and safety programs; conference services and special events; and, leadership development and social justice education. Oversees the recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of all residential life staff. Directs staff development plans.
- Oversees the development, review, and implementation of the Illinois Residential Experience (IRE). Partner with Student Affairs and academic units to achieve learning goals outlined in the plan.
- Establishes policies and procedures ensuring compliance with all state and federal regulations related to undergraduate students and on-campus housing. Ensures Residential Life staff receive all required training. Monitor students of concern and report significant issues to appropriate campus leadership.
- Develops, clarifies, enforces and reviews unit, departmental and university policies and procedures. Ensures a high standard of accountability and consistency. Hears contract cancelation appeals due to disciplinary action.
- Prepares and manages unit operating budget of $7 million. Keeps accurate records, monitors expenditures and approves purchases. Participates in student affairs donor development opportunities to support new and existing programmatic experiences.
- Collaborates with University Housing staff to prioritize facilities renovations and improvements in meeting student needs and requests in the residential experience. Develop appropriate project requests and program statements for facility enhancements.
- Engages in both short and long-range planning for Residential Life and University Housing. Organizes and facilitates processes that respond to the current and future needs of residents.
- Actively collaborates within University Housing and other campus units, including, but not limited to, the Counseling Center, Office of the Dean of Students, Illini Union, McKinley Health Center, campus cultural programs, University of Illinois Police Department and community service agencies. Serves as an advocate for undergraduate resident students.
- Regularly utilizes evidence-based decision making and assessment information in determining best practices for the residential life program. Regularly benchmarks unit performance with peer institutions (i.e. Illinois, Big Ten etc.).
Position Requirements and Qualifications
A master's degree in Higher Education, Student Personnel, Business Management or other related fields is required. A doctorate degree in Higher Education, Student Personnel, Business Management or other related fields is preferred.
A successful candidate will provide evidence of the following required work experiences and knowledge:
- Seven (7) or more years of professional work experience in a residential higher education setting, three (3) or more years supervisory experience of full-time staff at all levels and student staff, with evidence of administering sound personnel decisions is required.
- Experience as a crisis responder and supervising others who respond to student crisis/concerns
- Experience working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds. A commitment to social justice, inclusion and leadership initiatives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Financial experience in budget development and management
- Experience with program evaluation and/or assessment
- Understanding of current trends and issues within higher education and student affairs
- Working knowledge of student learning and student development theories
The following work experiences and knowledge is preferred:
- Ten (10) or more years working in an university housing setting
- Experience supervising staff as part of an operation housing 5000+ residents
- Experience working with a residential curriculum and academic housing partnerships
- Demonstrated experience in encouraging innovative program development and evidence-based decision making
- Knowledge of residential curriculum
We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds who can help create and foster communities that strive toward our vision. This includes supporting the academic mission of the University by developing environments conducive to student learning and academic success, respecting, appreciating, and advocating for the diversity of our student population, and supporting the holistic development of all of our students.
The Associate Director of Housing for Residential Life position is a full-time, 12-month position. The starting date will be as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
For full consideration, create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by April 20, 2017. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis once the search opens, but no final decision will be made until after the closing date. All candidates must be currently eligible to work in the United States. Official transcript will be required of all final candidates. Please contact a member of the Housing Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Housing Division
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Housing
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 03/23/2017
Close Date: 04/20/2017