Assistant Director for Leader Development
Functional Title Assistant Director for Leader Development
Position Type Administration - Staff
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR FOR LEADER DEVELOPMENT
OFFICE OF LEADERSHIP AND SERVICE-LEARNING
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a public institution serving more than 19,000 students offering 100 undergraduate areas of study, 65 masters programs, and 30 doctoral programs. The Office of Leadership and Service-Learning, a unit of the UNCG Division of Student Affairs, serves as a catalyst for leadership and civic engagement initiatives.
Summary of Position
The Assistant Director for Leader Development, who reports to the Associate Director for Leadership in the Office of Leadership and Service-Learning, supports the vision for systematic student leader development throughout UNCG. The Assistant Director fosters internal and external relationships that lead to sustainable programs designed to enrich student leader development and build capacity for life-long civic engagement. The Assistant Director advances institutionalization of curricular and co-curricular processes and infrastructure for campus-wide leadership development within the academic mission of UNCG and consults frequently with other programmatic units throughout the university. The Assistant Director for Leader Development oversees the development and implementation of values-based leadership initiatives with an emphasis on integration of service and leadership. Additionally, the Assistant Director is expected to be well versed in current leadership and student development literature with the ability to advance scholarship within the field. Responsibilities include providing administrative support for the Office of Leadership and Service-Learning's leadership development initiatives through conference organizing, teaching leadership studies, training, peer leadership education, administering components of the self-directed tiered leadership development program, marketing and assessment.
• Contribute to Institutionalizing the UNCG's Leadership Framework
• Supervise Graduate Assistant for Leader Development
• Recruit, train, and supervise students in the Peer Leadership Educators program in collaboration with the Graduate Assistant for Leader Development
• Coordinate and evaluate Peer Leadership Educators' workshop and module presentations. .
• Coordinate at least two campus-wide student leadership conferences annually
• Serve as Program Coordinator for the UNCG session of the LeaderShape Institute® including promotion, recruitment, educating and preparing student, faculty, and staff participants.
• Plan and implement programming related to the LeaderShape Institute® graduates throughout the academic year.
• Provide administrative oversight of the Silver tier of the Leadership Challenge Program.
• Serve as a Leadership Coach for the Silver tier of the Leadership Challenge Program.
• Design and develop a marketing campaign for leader development
• Consult with campus and community members to plan and implement leadership initiatives.
• In partnership with all other staff of the OLSL, integrate community service and academic service-learning initiatives with leadership development.
• Serve on OLSL, University, and community committees as needed.
• Supervise undergraduate students employed by the Office of Leadership and Service-Learning for leadership development.
• Serve as a liaison for student organizational leadership initiatives.
• Supervise assessment and evaluation of various leadership programs, including identifying and documenting student learning outcomes.
Minimum qualifications include a Master's degree plus 3 years of experience in leadership development/coaching, higher education student development, or related field. Candidate should prove to have excellent oral, written and project management skills, and the ability to set priorities among competing demands.
Preferred qualifications include the ability to create and deliver effective trainings and presentations for students, collaborate effectively with diverse populations, and communicate program goals to the members of the University community. The successful candidate has extensive knowledge of leadership theory and demonstrates experience conceiving, planning, facilitating and evaluating experiential leadership programs for college students. In addition, this position will need to inspire, motivate and support students, staff, and faculty in their efforts within leadership education to prepare for effective citizenship. Availability for occasional evening and weekend programming is essential. Ability to use multi-media strategies for programmatic teaching and administration required. Ability to use graphic design software for marketing essential. Ability to drive large passenger vans or mini bus a plus.
Tenure Status N/A
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) references in the references section of the electronic application. These references will be solicited by the UNCG Jobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential letter of reference/recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur when the department wishes to consider the applicant for an interview.
Recruitment Range $44,000 - $47,000
Org #-Department Leadership and Service Learning - 44805
Job Open Date 03/23/2017
For Best Consideration Date 04/13/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Link to Professional Portfolio
- Teaching Philosophy
- Writing Sample(s)
- Research Statement
- Other Documents
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC school system job board
- Personal Networking
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu