Aquatic Program Manager
Aquatics Program Manager
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Aquatics Operations Manager.
Supervises: Lifeguards, Head Lifeguards, Pool Attendants, other student and temporary employees.
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Summary of Position:
The Aquatics Program Manager is responsible for program development, including program expansion and supporting ongoing programs to maximize the pool usage, expand the Mills brand and support the internal and external community. Other responsibilities include supporting and developing staff, improving marketing approaches, and ensure strong customer satisfaction.. In keeping with the Mills College Strategic Plan, the Aquatics Program Manager helps to ensure that through staff recruitment and training, policy development and enforcement, and supervision of ongoing maintenance and R&R, the Trefethen Aquatic Center is operated in a safe and compliant manner. Employment opportunities are provided which assist with student satisfaction and retention, and programming supports the development of a vibrant campus community.
Essential Job Functions:
• Hire and manage Lifeguards,Pool Attendants and Swim Instructors.
• Schedule the staff using When to Work software, and substitute when needed.
• Oversee CASHNet and safe responsibilities.
• Assess Lifeguard performance through in-service training as well as ongoing drills.
• Provide general customer service; assist with signage, schedules and website updating.
• Manage and coordinate special events (swim team practices and meets, water polo practices and games/tournaments, swim-a mile, campus, summer program, etc.)
• Plan, organize, schedule, and coordinate summer swim lesson programs.
• Coordinate American Red Cross classes and provide certificates.
• Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation toward all campus users.
• Conduct surveys, as needed.
• Evaluate and recommend marketing and advertising venues that align with the Mills mission.
• Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships while working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
• Remain abreast of developments in all aspects of aquatics by reading, and attending conferences, workshops, trainings, and clinics.
• Participate in Staff Meetings and professionals training, as appropriate.
• Assume and perform other related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Program, activity and industry best practices in Aquatic Facility management.
• Understanding of Mills College policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of youth, aquatic and outdoor program development and management.
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel.
• When To Work software.
• Interpersonal skills
• Excellent written, oral and organizational skills with attention to detail.
• Problem-solving skills, resourcefulness, ability to think creatively.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
• Customer service
• Sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, and problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
• Ability to work independently under pressure and meet deadlines.
Education and Training
• Bachelor's Degree required.
• Minimum of 3 years related experience and or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Current Water Safety Instructor certification
• Current Lifeguard Instructor certification
• Current First Aid for Public Safety Personnel certification (Title 22)
• Certified Pool Operator/Aquatic Facility Operator (preferred)
• Lifeguard/Water Safety Instructor Trainer (preferred)
• Ability to navigate SABA (preferred)
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
• Must be able to perform duties of a physical nature, including standing, lifting, sitting, walking and swimming.
• Variable hours, week end and evenings possible.
• Must be able to see to observe life guards.
• Deadlines and multiple tasks might cause stress.
• Must be able to hear and speak in order to supervise staff and oversee pool.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Mills offers a competitive total compensation package, including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403(b) retirement plan,10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+plus, 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go tohttp://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
Please submit a resume, a cover letter, salary requirements, and the Mills College Application Form at https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=82382.
Review of candidates will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
There are no relocation funds for this position.