San Mateo County Community College District
Posting Number: 2014427S
Department: General Services DIST (DEPT)
Location: District Office
Position Number: 1C0447
Percentage of Full Time: 100%
Months per Year: 12
Salary Range: $62,664 (annual) - $84,012 (annual)
Position Type: Staff & Admin
San Mateo County Community College District values the principles of diversity and equity. We provide our students with a rich and dynamic learning community that embraces differences, emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become critical thinkers and socially responsible leaders.
This is complex lead level work involved in a central purchasing department related to the procurement of goods and services, including preparation of formal bid documents, facilitation of the activities of the bid process, selection of vendors, volume buying, inventory, assessing availability and quality of goods and services, and routine to complex procurements for the entire District according to prescribed methods. Public contact is extensive, primarily involving District and college staff at all levels, outside vendors, contractors, outside business representatives, other educational institutions, and external auditors for the purpose of exchanging product, procedural, timeline, and workflow information. A high degree of independent judgment and creativity are required to interpret policies and procedures, and to provide input into the resolution of frequent minor and occasional major problems that occur. Consequences of errors in judgment can be costly in terms of District resources, employee time and in public relations; however, supervisory controls limit the risk of serious errors. The Senior Buyer leads and trains student assistants as assigned.
Based on the qualifications of the selected applicant, candidate will be hired as a Buyer or Senior Buyer.
• A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a closely related field
• Successful work experience of increasing responsibility in purchasing and volume buying, specification development, securing and evaluation of bids, commodity pricing methods, discounts and selection of various supply sources
• Working knowledge of bidding, public contract code, and purchasing policies and procedures
• Extensive public contact with people at various levels within an organization who are diverse in their cultures, language groups, and abilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated skill in giving clear and concise instructions
• Demonstrated advanced skills in composing business correspondence and other documents using Microsoft Office Suite software
• Demonstrated skill in training, leading, and coordinating the work of others
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License (or the ability to obtain one) and the ability to drive a motor vehicle to off-site locations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of accepted standards of, and resources for, purchasing and materials management and professional purchasing practice and conduct
2. Knowledge of District purchasing policies and procedures
3. Skill in written communication (including correct English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation)
4. Skill in use of the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, web-based content management systems software and internet tools to compose business correspondence and documents, develop spreadsheets, research, enter, modify, format and present statistical, financial and other data for reports
5. Skill in the use of spreadsheets and other software instruments to analyze trends and data and to report findings; ability to analyze data, logical, and sequential thinking
6. Skill in project management
7. Skill in training, leading, and coordinating the work of others
8. Skill in oral communication, including public and persuasive speaking
9. Skill in respectful, sensitive communication with people who are diverse in their cultures, language groups, and abilities
10. Ability to strategically plan, organize, prioritize, and implement multiple-tasked projects with similar timelines and anticipated outcomes
11. Ability to multi-task and work on several different projects with similar timelines
12. Ability to understand the value of competition and exercise sound judgment to obtain the best price quote for the District in the purchase of a variety of materials, supplies, and equipment
13. Ability to work effectively as part of a dynamic customer service team which maintains a standard of excellent customer service to internal and external customers in a variety of business situations
14. Skill in memory, tact, patience, and creativity
15. Ability to adapt and be flexible to change
Benefits: Benefits include paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. The District pays all or a portion of monthly medical plan premiums (depending on the coverage) and pays all of the monthly dental and vision plan premiums for employees and eligible dependents. Additional paid benefits include life insurance, salary continuance insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program. Classified employees participate in the Public Employees’ Retirement System, a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California. Optional tax-deferred 403(b) and 457 retirement plans are also available.
First Review Date: 04/11/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit: https://jobs.smccd.edu/
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.