Administrator I, Grounds and Landscape Services Manager
Administrator I, Grounds and Landscape Services Manager
Job ID: 101991
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3318
Job Grade: Range A
Salary and Hours The salary is competitive and is negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position with an attractive package, which includes but is not limited to: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; 13 scheduled paid holidays plus one personal holiday; excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance; and retirement benefits.
Salary Range: $2,441.00 - $8,603.00 per month
Recruitment / Hiring range: $6,500.00 - $7,083.00 per month
Monday - Friday 6:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Alternative hours will be required depending on operational needs. Job Summary Under the general direction of the Director of Sustainability & Plant Operations, the Manager of Grounds and Landscape Services provides leadership and oversight for all grounds and landscape maintenance, tree management, parking lot maintenance and athletic field maintenance and preparation for practice and games. Incumbent supervises a variety of grounds workers and specialists; responsible for performance assessment, establishment and monitoring of goals and objectives, motivation and professional development, corrective actions and progressive discipline. The incumbent is also responsible for operations management, implementing and monitoring appropriate policies and procedures, assuring quality standards are implemented for the landscape functions within the department, making recommendations for equipment and landscape purchases, participating in strategic planning for campus landscaping, and ensuring appropriate safety policies, procedures and practices are consistently followed.
For more information on Grounds and Landscape Services, please visit: http://www.csus.edu/aba/facilities/units/grounds-landscaping.html Benefits/FLSA This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is also exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
For more information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the California State University visit:
http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/benefits/benefitsprograms.html Required Qualifications Education/Experience:
1. Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Horticulture, Business Administration or related field. (Possession of additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis.)
2. One to three years leading the operations of a grounds maintenance department.
3. One year in a management role.
4. Experience working with contractors, vendors and building professionals.
5. Experience providing customer service utilizing a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism
6. Experience recommending and applying herbicides and fertilizers in a comprehensive grounds management program
7. Experience using maintenance management software
8. Excellent personnel management skills; comprehensive knowledge of effective personnel management practices.
9. Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment necessary for landscape maintenance, including sports turf management, pest management, irrigation management, and arboriculture.
10. Excellent time-management, planning, and organizational skills to meet the demands of multiple deadlines.
11. Ability to adapt to organizational, procedural, policy, and technological changes.
12. Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with internal and external constituents.
13. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
14. Excellent computer skills and proficiency with standard office software packages (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) and a variety of on-line systems.
15. Demonstrated ability to interpret landscape plans and organize complex landscape projects using common horticultural practices.
16. Ability to understand and interpret the complexities of Collective Bargaining contracts in relation to the duties of this position.
17. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safety in the work place and ability to adhere to safety requirements and safe work practices and methods.
18. Current Department of Pesticide Regulation, Qualified Applicator Certification (Category B)
19. Valid driver's license and safe driving record Preferred Qualifications 20. Five (5) years of grounds and landscape management experience
21. Experience in an institutional/educational environment with a customer-oriented and service-centered focus.
22. Department of Pesticide Regulation, Qualified Applicator License (Category A), Arborist Certification (ISA).
23. Experience managing grounds maintenance at an institution of higher education.
24. Knowledge of methods and procedures necessary in the improvement and maintenance of athletic facilities that meet NCAA standards. License/Certification Certificates/Licenses:
- Current Department of Pesticide Regulation, Qualified Applicator Certification (Category B)
- Valid driver's license and safe driving record. Eligibility Verification Candidate selected will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
Candidate will be required to provide evidence of degree(s) earned. Background Check A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. Conflict of Interest The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, and on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter. Child Abuse and Neglect Report The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Equal Employment Opportunity California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/ Application Deadline OPEN UNTIL FILLED - Applications received by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, April 5, 2017 will be given priority review. How To Apply Applications are only accepted through the Sacramento State jobs webpage located at http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/. Once there, applicants can also click on the instructions link to see how to apply. External applicants can apply by clicking on the Staff and Management Opportunities at Sacramento State link. Internal applicants can apply by logging on My Sac State.
Please note: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of application
To ensure consideration, applicants must submit the following materials to the on-line application:
1. Letter of interest. If you currently hold a tenured faculty position and you are interested in retreat rights to tenured faculty position at Sacramento State, please let us know in your letter of interest.
2. Current curriculum vitae/resume.
3. Three (3) references who can speak to a broad range of candidate's professional qualifications (include name, email address, and telephone number).
For questions regarding this search, contact:
For technical difficulties with the online application, please contact our IRT help desk at (916) 278-7337.
To apply, visit: http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/