Instructional Support Technician II
Instructional Support Technician II
Job ID: 101989
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1617
Job Grade: Range A
Salary and Hours Work Hours: Position hours are 8 hours per day, variable between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. depending on department scheduling to meet class needs.
Salary Range: $3,748.00 - $6,082.00 Monthly Job Summary Responsible for performing support services to the Chemistry Department's laboratory and research curriculum, including but not limited to: preparation of reagents, solutions, and unknowns, preparation of laboratory facilities prior to use, set up of equipment and supplies, fabrication of apparatus needed for class use or research projects, maintain inventory of chemicals and supplies, order materials as needed, collect and prepare hazardous waste for disposal, perform routine safety inspections and arrange for necessary maintenance. Ability to operate scientific instruments for classes as needed. Assist in proper maintenance and repair of small equipment, issue and receive chemicals, equipment and supplies.
Position hours are 8 hours per day, variable between 7 am and 9 pm depending upon department scheduling to meet class needs. Position requires someone who can work as a member of a team, and can be diplomatic in high pressure situations. May be required to wear a respirator.
For more information on the Chemistry Department, visit: http://www.csus.edu/chem/ Benefits/FLSA This position is covered by health benefits, and is non-exempt, (eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
For more information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/benefits/benefitsprograms.html Minimum Qualifications Knowledges and Abilities:
Knowledge of the principles of performing support services for lower and upper division chemistry courses; knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques related to chemistry laboratory courses; knowledge of the materials and supplies in chemistry laboratory courses and their uses.
Ability to plan, organize, and schedule activities; ability to operate technical equipment used in chemistry laboratories; ability to maintain records; ability to adjust and perform simple maintenance of technical and scientific equipment.
Equivalent to three years of experience providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline, or in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment in a discipline related to the area to which assigned.
Equivalent to two years of college with 16 semester units in chemistry courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a discipline related to the area may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Equivalent to four years of college with 16 semester units in chemistry courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a discipline related to the area to which assigned may be substituted for two years of the required experience Required Qualifications 1. Knowledge of the principles of performing support services for lower and upper division chemistry courses.
2. Knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques related to chemistry laboratory courses.
3. Knowledge of the materials and supplies in chemistry laboratory courses and their uses.
4. Knowledge of laboratory safety, chemical hazards, incompatibilities, chemical storage and handling requirements, chemical waste collection and disposal.
5. Knowledgeable about safe handling of gases, coolants and cryogens.
6. Ability to use equipment related to chemistry lab equipment.
7. Ability to maintain records and inventory control.
8. Ability to adjust and perform simple maintenance of technical and scientific equipment.
9. Ability to adhere to and help enforce department safety standards
10. Ability to make appropriate work decisions by following or interpreting established policies and procedures and past precedents; ability to identify and solve standard problems, and refer more complex problems to appropriate staff.
11. Ability to work independently; possess self-direction skills to be able to proactively organize work; set priorities; anticipate setbacks; and follow through on the position responsibilities.
12. Team oriented; ability to work in a team oriented environment and cooperative as a member of the department and organization toward the achievement of its mission and goals.
13. Possess good communication and interpersonal skills to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of staff and external constituencies, both verbally and in writing.
14. Ability to use a variety of current computer software programs including but not limited to Explorer, Outlook, Word and Excel.
15. Ability to lift occasionally move, lift, carry, or position supplies, equipment and or materials up to 50lbds.
16. Ability to work various hours as needed.
Conditions of Employment
-Ability to pass background check Preferred Qualifications 17. Bachelor degree in chemistry or related field preferred with at least 24 semester or 36 quarter units in chemistry
18. Three years of experience providing instructional support services in chemistry courses.
19. Ability to assemble scientific glassware. Eligibility Verification Candidate selected will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. Background Check A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. Child Abuse and Neglect Report The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Equal Employment Opportunity California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/ Hiring Preference Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment. Application Deadline Date of close: 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, April 5, 2017. How To Apply Applications are only accepted through the Sacramento State jobs webpage located at http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/. Once there, applicants can also click on the instructions link to see how to apply. External applicants can apply by clicking on the Staff and Management Opportunities at Sacramento State link. Internal applicants can apply by logging on My Sac State.
Please note: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of application.
Candidate must attach the following materials to the on-line application:
1. Letter of interest (Cover letter).
2. Current curriculum vitae/resume.
3. Three (3) references who can speak to a broad range of candidate¿s professional qualifications (including name, title, and telephone number).
For questions regarding this search, contact:
For technical assistance with the application, please contact our IT help desk at 916.278.7337.
To apply, visit: http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/