Director of Media Relations
The individual in this role will serve as a spokesperson for the University; be a campus resource for training and guidance related to the media; assist in implementing crisis and emergency communications plans; and track, analyze and react to media coverage. The DMR will also assist in creating communications that support the University's senior leadership in conveying a range of complex topics to diverse constituencies, including speeches, campus announcements, talking points, etc.
The position calls for a creative and innovative strategic thinker with excellent written and verbal communication skills. The individual in this role will bring a fresh perspective on ways to gain national media attention, will, be well versed on the latest industry trends and technology, and must be deeply committed to collaborating with others.
Additional duties include, but are not limited to:
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with journalists, writers, social influencers and other members of the local, regional and national media and provide them with story ideas, academic experts, and news announcements on a consistent basis.
- Serve as primary liaison with outside media relations/communication firm(s).
- Coordinate media access to campus and provide media management for special events.
- Create and maintain a digital campus experts guide to better connect journalists with Bucknell faculty and staff experts.
- Develop timely content that will populate the University's print and digital channels, including the bucknell.edu news feed and social media channels.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Bachelor's degree and 6 years of experience in a field directly related to media relations and/or communications, including a minimum of 4 years of proven experience working directly with the media and successfully pitching stories.
- Experience preparing speeches, talking points, and other communications with executive-level staff.
- Demonstrated ability to be strategic, think creatively, take initiative, and effectively work both collaboratively with colleagues across the University and autonomously.
- Demonstrated problem solver who possesses the ability to quickly assess issues and crises and develop and execute effective plans to address them.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain successful relationships with national, regional, and local media.
- Demonstrated the ability to handle extremely sensitive and confidential matters.
- Must be able to manage multiple and diverse projects and meet deadlines.
- Possess excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate information and assess news value, while maintaining high journalistic standards of accuracy and integrity.
- Tech-savvy with the ability help facilitate a wide array of media opportunities through various channels, from print and broadcast to podcasts and social media.
- Knowledgeable and up to date on advances and trends related to media relations, and be highly creative in putting such knowledge to work.
- Experience in higher education
- Experience with PR Management Software, such as Cision or Meltwater
- Experience as a spokesperson for a large, complex and diverse organization
- Experience coordinating paid media efforts
In order to be considered for the position, all applicants are required to submit online a candidate profile, a letter of interest, a current resume, and a list of three references through the following site: http://careers.bucknell.edu
Learn more about Bucknell, our community, and the benefits of working here at www.bucknell.edu/HR
Bucknell University believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns.
Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution, that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs.