Office Assistant 2 (General)
Office Assistant 2 (General)-1700766
Office Assistant 2 perform complicated clerical processing and records maintenance activities in support of a technical, administrative or management operation.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, knowledge and understanding of patient care and effectively respond to changing patient needs by making decisions based on ethical principles and adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a Office Assistant 2 may include the following but are not limited to:
- Process clerical transactions for a program governed by multiple procedures, rules and regulations. Use knowledge of program as the basis to make decisions and resolve problems. Must understand the purpose of the transaction, not just the clerical process.
- Maintain manual or automated records for a segment of an agency program. Set up records maintenance systems and develop procedures for their use.
- Design clerical processing procedures. Regularly evaluate procedures and initiate or recommend modifications to improve operations.
- Gather, compile and prepare data from manual or automated files and other sources for various reports, publications, records, etc. Design formats for various reports and forms.
- Respond to questions from other units, agencies or the public concerning the operation of the unit or program area.
- Write responses to correspondence and reply to personal or telephone inquiries by providing required data, information or assistance.
- Resolve work problems and work related problems such as settling complaints from difficult clients.
- Review forms or applications for subject matter content, completion and accuracy within program segment of expertise and make appropriate determination. Gather additional information as necessary.
- Coordinate schedules for administrative proceedings. Ensure schedule is kept current and answer questions about proceedings.
- Coordinate arrangements for meetings and courses, arranging for rooms, taking attendance and insuring that appropriate materials and equipment are available.
- Operate office equipment such as photocopiers, calculators, computers, printers, typewriters, audiovisual equipment, etc., as necessary to complete assigned tasks. Perform simple maintenance tasks such as adding toner and paper and changing ribbons.
- Operate telephone equipment, including switchboards.
- May supervise other clerical support positions.
Required Qualifications: MUST have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list. Experience working in clerical occupation, basic writing, reading.
Promotion: one year as an Office Assistant 1; or one year of permanent service in a clerical or keyboarding title allocated to Grade 4 or higher.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
This position may require that you work in the hospital and / or off site areas
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: Office Assistant 2
Job Field: Civil Service Positions
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Patient Access-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 11:00am-7:00pmPatient Access-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 22, 2017
Posting End Date: Apr 21, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG9