Director of General Accounting
Posting Date March 22, 2017
Position Title Director of General Accounting
Vacancy # V-1271
Department Controller's Office
Division Treasury And Finance
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
The Director of General Accounting is responsible for ensuring accurate general ledger account balances that are substantiated by the completion of monthly account analysis and reconciliations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of General Accounting reports to the Assistant Controller. Major duties and responsibilities of this position include:
• Supervising general accounting and financial reporting staff by delegating assignments, reviewing their productivity and efficiency, and mentoring staff to insure a high quality reporting that is timely.
• Reviewing and approving all bank reconciliations and account analysis
• Reviewing and approving staff journal entries
• Reviewing account balances for completeness and the proper classification of transactions
• Ensuring that recurring journals are processed in the appropriate period
• Ensuring that third party systems, including Banner, TouchNet, Marketplace, e-commerce, payroll, parking, P-cards, etc. are reconciled monthly
• Researching and resolving journal interface and chartfield errors
• Resolving any issues with the bank reconciliation module
• Researching and clearing suspense account items and notifying source of corrections to avoid repetitive errors.
• Writing policies and procedures to improve processes and workflows.
• Maintaining the University's Chart of Accounts
• Closing the financial records each month, by the 10th of the following month.
• Verifying general ledger account balances
• Notifying the Director of Financial Reporting of the need for new or revised ChartField values
• Preparing the University's annual audited Financial Statements, including Footnotes and MD&A.
• Ensuring all PBC schedules and analysis are completed and reviewed prior to the assumption of audit fieldwork.
• Collaborating with the Budget Office and other stakeholders to explain account balances and variances from comparative periods
• Meeting deliverable deadlines
• Assisting stakeholders and requestors so they understand account balances and content
• Overseeing Financial Reporting staff to ensure the timely production and analysis of financial statements.
• Correcting GL account errors and omissions on a timely basis
• Utilizing PeopleSoft queries and reports to prepare reports and analysis
• Researching historical information in FRS and respective archives
• Collaborating with end users to obtain requirements for reports and queries
• Coordinating requests for reports or queries with the Financial Report Developer and their supervisor to keep end users informed of the status of their requests
• Responsible for receiving and resolving helpdesk tickets as first level support for the GL module
• Providing end user training/guidance in one on one and group settings
• Supervising staff participation in and work deliverables for the One Montclair projects
• Monitoring and resolving General Ledger workflow issues
• Providing staff training to improve efficiency and accuracy in analyzing and reconciling accounts and in the use of Excel and other analytical tools
• Reviewing and approving query and report criteria and formats
• Staying knowledgeable of current GAAP as issued by GASB and FASB
• Escalating unresolved issues to the Assistant Controller or Controller as appropriate
• Exemplifying excellent customer service
• Performing other duties as assigned
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited University or college, CPA required
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as issued by GASB and FASB
• At least 10 years of experience in preparing account analysis and reconciliations, preferably in public accounting
• At least 5 years of experience supervising an accounting department and year-end audits
• High precision in work
• Experience with PeopleSoft's General Ledger or similar ERP system
• Experienced in data mining and analytics
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables and macros
• Professional demeanor
• Interpersonal and team building skills
• Relationship building skills
• Decision making and troubleshooting skills
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION