Adjunct Assistant Professor - Reading
Reading Faculty will teach classroom credit courses along with study skills and other department courses as needed. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, which could include evenings/ week-end assignments. The maximum load for an adjunct faculty member is a total of 9 credit hours per semester, which may be a combination of credit courses and AAC lab time.
- Master's degree in Education with at least 15 graduate hours specifically in reading.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the mission of a comprehensive community college
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Skill in employing Socratic (non-directive) teaching methods
- The ability to manage multiple teaching and learning activities simultaneously
- The ability to maintain high academic standards while providing a high level of support to students
- The ability to use and adapt to ever-changing educational technology
- Be knowledgeable in current issues and trends in post-secondary developmental education, especially reading
- One year of experience teaching in a classroom setting
- Reading Faculty must have experience in teaching reading skills
- Training and experience in teaching ESL and students with disabilities preferred
- Community college experience preferred
Click here for a summary of our benefit information. For a summary of our adjunct faculty compensation, click here.
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained.
For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Salary will be based upon level of education and number of credit hours taught each semester.
For full consideration apply before
Hours per Week
Current schedule of credit classes could include Monday through Saturday. Morning, afternoon and evening classes are possible. Applicant must be able to work flexible hours each semester.